1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to tell the 'rents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bugzzie13th, Dec 3, 2007.

1. bugzzie13th

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Here's a little info:

I'm 18 and I've been out for about 4 years to my close friends. In the last year I've becomes more comfortable with it and don't really care who knows except for my parents. I want to tell them and be honest with them. But I'm not sure how to go about it.

My mom said when my BFF's came out that she would want to know if I was and wouldn't love me any less. I'm a little worried my dad will get upset. He constantly makes fun of gay people, not to be mean because he doesn't know how to deal with it. I don't really want to just blurt it out and sit there and stare at each other. Any advice?

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Your mom sounds like she's going to be fine with it. Your dad, may be too. Hopefully the jokes will stop after you say something. You could ask to talk to them or some people choose to write a letter. Either is fine. It depends on what you are more comfortable doing. My son sent a very short e-mail that said "I'm gay. I'm the same person I always was and if you want to talk, I'm available." We did talk and have been talking since. Do you live with your parents?

3. bugzzie13th

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah. And I depend on them financially.

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I just posted some resources in the Coming Out Section. Check them out and good luck!

5. boy0boy

For me, I didn't even have to say it out loud to my step-dad, when I finally told my mom in the car, by the time we got home I just went to my room like normal. Eventually my step-dad came in and gave me a hug.

Tell your mom, who already has the best and most important attitude the whole "I will love you no matter what." Yeah it will be hard to just say but at least you have that much. You could talk about her telling your dad, it gives him time to deal with it and then he can go talk with you about it, or not.. I guess that depends on your parents.

My friend avoided telling her parents although the signs and her lifestyle was pretty obvious, when her mom asked her about it she just froze. Eventually she told her mom, and her mom just responded "I knew you would tell me when you were ready."

You sound like you're in a good place, hope everything goes well!

6. Psychedelic Bookmarks

it sounds like your mum will be accepting. and as becky says, your dad may change his ways. my brother used to say stupid jokes but that didn't mean he didn't accept me when i told him. :slight_smile:

7. miner4800

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm terrified of telling my parents. both of them are anti-homo, and it's hard, living a lie... :S plus, i don't know what my bro will think and i'm real scared...

8. SpikySpice

I agree with everyone, since your mom is ncie to gay people, you shoudl tell your mom 1st before you tell yoru dad, she will understand, love you, you will recieve lots of support from her after you tell your dad, too

Your mom also comfort your dad, she'll let him knwo about the gay people since he dosnet knwo how to deal with it:slight_smile:

Be ready to tell them, any time you feel comfortable, or liek Becky said, you can come out through email to your mom, i think it's easier than talkin face to face

9. kevinx519

i think the best way is to just bring it up after dinner. just put everything out. im almost positive that if your parents are loving and caring, theyll love you just the same. but i dont think you should be taken back if they were to become a bit upset. sometimes its not for the reasons you assume. they know that being gay causes conflict with the world. and like it or not, being gay isnt easy. so just, give them some time when you tell them. hopefully, theyll understand where youre coming from, and some extra family discussions wouldnt harm either.