1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at college?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pronua, Sep 28, 2011.

1. pronua

Well, I'm completely in the closest right now, but I'm wondering, for those who are in/have been in college, is it generally a good place to come out? As much as I want to right now, It seems to me that college is the perfect opportunity because you start school with people you've never known before. :confused:

2. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh heavens yes.
    Not that there aren't cases where high school is a great time to come out as well, but college students are overall more accepting of different people.
    In fact, if somebody said something homophobic in public here they would probably get verbally reprimanded for it by everyone around them.

3. missyjustice

missyjustice Guest

It's different for everyone. I'll tell you a little about my experience. I went to a college out of state and I literally knew no one at my really humongous university which was fine with me because I wanted a fresh start with new people. However, I was still in denial about my sexuality so I actually ended up taking some steps backwards (on my journey towards accepting my sexuality). In high school I'd never been able to fall for any guys but I told myself that in college it would be different and I just needed to try harder so I tried and failed miserably. Now i'm in my fourth year and I'm out to my friends back home but only out to a few people at my university. I wish I'd come out as a freshman when no one knew me and thus had no preconceived ideas on what kind of person I am. If I had came out then, I imagine I'd be a lot more secure in my sexuality now and I wouldn't have the homophobic friends I now feel like I'm stuck with.

You don't have to go around telling everyone you're gay but if you can find it within you to come out when asked or to just be yourself, I'd strongly encourage that. Also check out your school's LGBT orgs as soon as you can. They are usually pretty confidential and it can make you feel more comfortable coming out.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have come completely out in college. People are generally more accepting in college. I would say try to get involved in your schools LGBT group, that helped me meet more people in the same situation as me. This helped my confidence a ton!!

5. bwhopper

bwhopper Guest

I wish I had come out in college! If I only knew then what I know now. Why live your life in hiding like I did? At least you realize who you are at an early age. It will not get easier as you get older. This is a good time to be honest

6. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. College in general is a lot more accepting and there are a lot more open-minded people there, at least from my experience. Of course there will always be those against it and have opposing views on homosexuality for the most part it's a great place to come out and be yourself. You are also with people around your same age so that definitely helps. And none of those little cliques like high school had. :slight_smile:

7. tikaakit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    in general, people are more open-minded when they reach college. if you're starting college, and you are confident in your sexuality, than there's no reason to hide.
    personally, when i started college, i wasn't ready to admit how i felt about myself, let alone other people. this lead to me hiding in the closet for the next four years of my college experience. not only was this depressing for me, but i became extremely angry and frustrated with myself. i dropped out of school and went through a plethora of additional issues (addiction, etc.) that further destroyed my sense of self.
    my advice is to be how you feel, and to not give a crap about what other people think (especially strangers).
    oh.... and enjoy your freedom!

8. maverick

I think college is the BEST time to come out. I wish I'd come out in college, while I was surrounded by other LGBT folks and I could have gotten into a proper relationship. Now I'm out of college, out of the closet, and networking with other queers is that much harder.

9. Bi As A Kite

In early stages of college course here, can't wait to do the 'i prefer guys right now, actually...' thing!