1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I give up on trying to be happy

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by behind glass, Sep 28, 2011.

1. behind glass

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just can't stay happy, I can't even look at a guy anymore, when I do it seems pointless because every guy I have ever liked has been straight. I can't even be alone with my own thoughts because its more of the same plus I feel I will always be alone. I just cant be happy and really have no reason to be happy. It's such a simple thing but it is unreachable for me. It seems like a stupid problem and that makes me feel worse. Im not even going to try to be happy because it won't happen and if it does it won't last long.

2. sanguine

everyone feels like this at some point, you just have to want to be happy as the first step, then doing something about it

dont stay in that mind set, you are sort of making your own self forfilling prophecy

#2 sanguine, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  3. Undecided John

I don't like telling people "hey, you're only 16". But, hey! I used to think that having a girlfriend was the only way to not feel alone and sad, when I was at your age. And it just wasn't true. It's a pretty important thing, and I actually still miss it, but there are more in life than relationships, and you're just in the right time to focus on those things. Enjoy your friends, enjoy school, find things you like doing, try to figure out what you want to do with your life. All those things can make you happy. Yes, you will still feel lonely from times to times, but, everyone does. Stop worrying so much about being sad, and enjoy the little things, that's all what happiness is about, in the end.

I don't expect you to read this and totally agree with me and be all happy from now on, but give to what I am saying a little bit of thought, perhaps a little bit of try. Eventually, things are gonna be better, trust me. Trust us, everyone else here is gonna say the same.

4. behind glass

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not the relationship part that I care about I just can't stay happy, every time I help a friend with advice I end up unhappy every time I do something that used to make me happy I end up unhappy.

5. LikeMyCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sometimes life sucks. Sometimes life sucks a lot, and for a long time, and you feel that you will never be happy again. But Don't Give Up! It may take a while, but it will get better. It may take counseling, or group therapy, or AA, or medication, or just getting up every morning and telling yourself that you are a worthwhile person and deserve a life, or something completely different that I haven't mentioned because everyone is different. But hang in there, because it will get better.
    I understand that it's really bad right now, and please understand that I am not trying to tell you that it's not as bad as you think it is. It very well could be. But life is filled with change, and the things that seem that they will never end do, and the things you thought could never happen will, and the rock of sadness in your gut will dissolve.
    One day you will wake up, see the sun dancing on the dust motes in your house, and say to yourself - "I'm happy, I really am, and I don't even have a reason to be!"
    Five years ago I was in a mental hospital because I couldn't trust that I would not end my life if given the opportunity. My life is not what I want it to be yet, but it has been almost five years since I wanted to end it, and despite circumstances out of my control (broke, in school again, living with parents at almost 30) I *AM* happy most of the time, and am only unhappy if I have a reason to be. For most of my life I was unhappy unless I had a reason to be happy.
    It's a wonderful change.
    I am so glad that I hung in there.
    We are all pulling for you.
    Know that you deserve to be happy, and that it will happen.
    You are not doomed to misery.
    (hugs)