1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DhammaGamer, Sep 30, 2011.

1. DhammaGamer

So first of all, hello everyone. This is my first post here. Nice to meet you in advance. Just a quick introduction, I'm a 24yr old bisexual male living in michigan. I'm a college student and work as a debt collector. I'm Buddhist. I live with my girlfriend and our dog and two cats.

ANyways, I've been searching for some place to ask for advice, and don't have really anywhere to go. My therapist helps, but she said I need to seek out help from peers. I don't have any gay or bisexual friends, and although I told my family I am Bi, they kind of ingore the issue.

I guess I should probably lay some groundwork before I get into things. So, I have been living with my girlfriend since the day we met 3.5 years ago. We have our ups and downs, but we love eachother and always manage to push through any challenges or struggles we face. A year and a half into our relationship, I admitted to her that I had sex with a guy once a couple years prior and that I was bisexual. It was the first time I had ever come out to anybody, and it was TERRIFYING.

She didn't dump me though, and wasn't too freaked out. She encouraged me to come out to others, like my close friends. I ended up telling a couple friends as well, which was definitely liberating but their responses were varied and some seemed pretty uncomfortable with the whole topic. During this process, I was going a through a serious identity crisis. I had never revealed this side of my personality to anyone except for the one partner I had, and I felt like a piece of me was finally able to express itself to the world.

I told my girlfriend that I didn't feel like it would be right for either of us if I didn't take the opportunity to explore who I am and who I want to be. We seperated and it was very very dramatic. She felt like I was leaving her because she wasn't good enough or that I was cheating on her. I tried to explain the situation but it's not easy when two people are in love to deal with that kind of ordeal.

We were seperated for only a week. She and I kept in contact over the week and I decided that I didn't want to lose someone who loved me. Mostly out of fear I think of ever finding someone else. She is my first serious relationship. After I moved back in with her, it was like nothing in the prior 2-3 weeks had ever happened. I basically went back into the closet. My family and friends never ever discuss it and ignore the situation entirely. Holly and I talk about my sexuality some times but not in depth or anything.

It's been 2 years since then. We've been through a lot together since then and since we met, and we have a history together that is important to both of us.

Lately I've been speaking with a therapist for a number of reasons, including my tumultuous relationship with my girlfriend, stress with my family and school, and just a lingering sense that there's just something wrong with me and my life. Maybe just general malaise but it's not easy.

With my sexuality I go through these different waves. On one day I may be strictly attracted to women and, not that I am ever grossed out or anything, but I just don't find interest in men. Then on a different day I am the complete opposite. I can't get boys out of my head, and even though I still find girls attractive, I don't fantasize about them. Then it swings back. It's a constant back and forth.

When I tried to explain this to a community of Buddhists that I talk with on a seperate forum, the basic concesus was that since I'm bisexual it shouldn't matter who I'm with. That this back and forth is just a manifestation of either my inability to commit to a monogomous relationship, or else my unhappiness with the relationship I currently have. Which I'm not sure if I agree with either of these claims.

I just want to be able to express myself and have people to talk to about my bisexuality so I don't feel like a crazy person. My girlfriend is very insecure and if I were to tell her about the fact that sometimes I fantasize about sex with men, she would be scared that I want to leave her or am cheating on her, etc. She claims that she only ever fantasizes about sex with me, which my therapist thinks is BS.

I'm just lost and confused. My religion is really the only thing keeping me together, but even the Buddha advises that without the wisdom of noble friends, the path to happiness can be a difficult one. I feel alone.

ugh

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, and welcome to EC.

First, it's clear that you've given a lot of thought and consideration to your situation, and that helps a lot. I think your Buddhist studies have been really helpful to you in contemplating and understanding yourself.

But I also wonder how your relationship with your girlfriend is affecting things. I don't necessarily agree with your Buddhist friends that your back-and-forth is inability to commit; my suspicion is that it may be really difficult for you to deeply contemplate whether you are truly closer to the gay side of the spectrum because of the way your gf is handling things, and her neediness.

One of the things I often tell people in your situation is to try to isolate your feelings from your girlfriend and the way you relate to her. Here are some questions you can ask yourself:

-- When you are out walking around, by yourself, and you notice other people, who do your eyes go toward? Are you looking at men, or at women?

-- On the days you feel like you're swinging toward women, do you feel like you're *forcing* yourself to look at women, or does it come naturally? Or are you still looking at men?

-- When you're having sex with your girlfriend, do you feel like you're totally there, totally engaged, and in the moment, or does it feel sort of hollow or disconnected? Do you ever fantasize about men when having sex with her?

-- When you masturbate, and particuarly when you are close to ejaculation, are you thinking about guys, or girls, or both?

My guess is that if you draw your focus to what you're doing when you aren't consciously thinking about it (where your eyes wander, what your masturbation fantasies naturally go toward, what goes through your mind during sex with your gf), you'll find that your feelings are probably a lot more consistent than you realize, and that you are, the rest of the time, semi-consciously trying to move yourself in one direction or the other.

If you can think about those things and perhaps mull them over a bit in your head and then answer, we can help you get a much clearer picture of what's going on for you.

Separately from identifying what's going on for you, it may be wise for you to really explore what your relationship with your girlfriend means. If she is really clingy and insecure, and you are with her more because it would be difficult and dramatic to break up, rather than because it makes you happy... then it's unlikely that you will ever be truly happy in that relationship (regardless of whether you're attracted to guys or girls or both) and you may want to consider why you continue to stay in a relationship that doesn't fulfill you.

One's first meaningful relationship always brings about strong feelings. But often it's not a very healthy relationship, because we bring to it all of the baggage we have from our family of origin. As you continue therapy and work through your own issues, you will probably find that the relationship is working less and less for you, and this is because you are growing, emotionally and psychologically, while your gf is not. And while that's unfortunate, it also means that, should this relationship end, you will not only find someone else to love you, but likely, having worked through some of your issues, you'll find someone more emotionally healthy.

Last, somewhat unrelated question: Do you know if your therapist has a fair amount of experience working with LGBT people? One who is less experienced isn't necessarily a bad thing -- my therapist wasn't experienced with LGBT issues at all, and was amazing -- but having one who isn't can make it a little harder to process and understand all of the issues associated with bisexuality or whatever your emerging sexuality may be.

3. DhammaGamer

@Chip

Thanks for the response. I really appreciate the input. I honestly don't know what to say, or do for that matter. When I'm having sex with her typically I'm completely engrossed in it. It's not really easy for me to imagine sex with a guy when I'm having sex with her, because my fantasies of sex with men always involve me as "bottom." When I'm by myself, I do admit that especially in the last year or so, I mostly imagine sex with men, but definitely not exclusively. When I'm out in public, I'm attracted to women physically and am pretty picky about the type of men I'm attracted to (unless I'm around other gay men, in which case I get much more excited about the thought, I'm jsut not attracted to straight men I guess.)

In regards to my relationship with my girlfriend, it's very complicated for me. Beyond anything in the bedroom, there are parts of her personality that are very immature, and I feel like as I continue to grow and change as a person, she stays the same and even tries to prevent change. He has no interest in my religious beliefs, or in my hobbies or other interests. When we're getting along it's nice because we have this life we have shared for such a long time, so we're close just because of it. I've noticed, however, that if we go for any extended period of time (typically 3-4 days) without sex she gets very angry with me and thinks I'm cheating on her or that I think she's fat or something, which is never the case.

I don't know. This is why I'm seeing a therapist. And according to her profile she does have experience with LGBT, so I trust her. Right now, she is focusing more on boundaries I set in our relationship and goals or expectations I have for myself and my relationship with her. Its so hard to deal with this all.

I feel like I still have so much to come to terms with.

I don't just fantasize about sex with guys. I imagine dating or hanging out with a guy. I imagine falling in love and sharing a life with another man and it feels good. Like this pit in my stomach right under my heart is aching and empty. I don't know.

4. stilllovelyafte

Dhamma,

I find it very admirable that you have been so honest with your girlfriend throughout. I have not told my girlfriend of my feelings of same sex attraction and it has been a source of great guilt and distress for me. She asks me what's wrong? Why am I not able to commit? I give vague answers, which are probably more distressing to her than if I told her the truth. Though I'm no expert on the topic of honesty, I think you should continue to share your thoughts with her as they develop.

The reason I'm writing, which I think Chip touched on, is there is a similarity between our situations, which I think might be helpful for us to talk through. To some extent, I think both of us are actively trying to protect our girlfriends. We're not fully being true to ourselves, in part because we don't know what that truth is, but also in part because we want to protect our girlfriends. I wonder if in the long run we're causing them more pain.

Secondly, I think both of us are (or to speak for myself, I am) struggling with letting go of someone I love. I had a tough childhood/adolescence, and she has been a source of support, love, and positivity. We've developed such a comfortable life together. We share similar interests, have lots of common friends, etc. If your situation is similar, it's no wonder you ran back after a week!

I'm actually thinking about taking some time apart from her - I need to do it for both of us. I probably won't make it longer than a week, but I hope to find the strength to separate for the time necessary to find myself and give her the certainty she needs to move forward in her life, with or without me.

Hope this helps.

---------- Post added 30th Sep 2011 at 01:09 PM ----------

Chip,

I think your questions for Dhamma above are really helpful. I'm really having trouble sorting out my answers to these questions. Honestly, I've suppressed and distorted my thoughts and feelings so much, I have trouble getting back to ground zero. What do I think about close to climax? I know this is a sad admission, I've been forcing myself to think about women for as long as I can remember - I don't really know where my mind would go if it was free to wander. I guess step 1 is to let it wander?

Ditto with the walking - I think I've sort of conditioned myself to look down if I see an attractive guy and to fixate on an attractive girl passing by.

I'm working on scaling back these behaviors, trying to get a better sense of who I am at the core.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dhamma:

You're on the right path, and I suspect that you are already realizing that you are changing and growing and healing as a person, but your girlfriend is much more stuck in her current behavior patterns. And sadly, this is a common problem for people who are on a spiritual path. So most likely, as you grow more, you'll realize, if you haven't already, that this relationship is probably not a good match for you.

It's interesting that you mention boundaries, because lack of boundaries is a very common problem with really insecure people (i.e, your girlfriend), and it sounds like you have a difficult time setting clear boundaries for yourself as well. So it sounds like your therapist is on the right track with that. And in most cases, a therapist will generally not give specific directive suggestions, such as inviting you to take a look at the relationship and determining whether it's healthy for you. So I would suggest that might be something to think about, if you haven't already done so.

As far as your sexual orientation, from what you're describing, my initial sense is that you are probably leaning toward gay or at least the gay side of bi. It gets complicated because of all the internalized homophobia that nearly everyone has arising from the environment around us... which tends to make us hide, even from ourselves, our true feelings about sexual attraction. So you could genuinely be attracted to both men and women, or you could be mostly attracted to men, but have forced yourself to feel "attraction" toward women because you've programmed yourself to believe you should be straight. But it seems clear that you're not solely attracted to women.

For most people, coming to terms with that idea -- that you could be gay, and not bi, or even that you're bi and more attracted to guys -- can be really difficult and upsetting. But it is something that you reconcile eventually and come to accept. I talk a lot about the stages of loss -- in this case, the loss of your identity as a straight guy -- because it's something that's pretty universal to the process of coming out, and can be helpful to accepting the process you're embarking on.

The stages are denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance.

Denial is stuff like "I'm not gay."

Anger is "Goddamn it, I don't want this" or "Why is this happening to me" and the like

Bargaining is "Well, I like guys, but I still really like girls too" or "Well, maybe it's just a phase" or "But I still see all these girls I think are hot" and the like... statements you make to justify your thinking that you know deep down aren't really true.

And grief and acceptance are pretty self-explanatory.

The stages aren't necessarily 100% sequential; people can move back and forth for a bit, and sometimes you move lightning fast through one and get stuck in another... but in the end, most everyone moves through most all of them, and when they've finished, they are finally at peace and comfortable with where they are, and all of the turmoil and uncertainty goes away.

I hope that helps.

stilllovelyafte:

You've hit on something really important, and that's honesty and integrity. It's always the easier path to simply avoid unpleasant truths, particularly when you know they will cause anguish or heartbreak. But of course, avoiding the truth simply postpones the difficulty, and the longer you postpone it, generally speaking, the more painful it is. So it's better to own up sooner rather than later.

And of course, it's further complicated if this is the first healthy and supportive relationship you've had. But the important thing to remember is... there will be other healthy relationships. The first relationship, regardless of same or opposite sex, is always intense and it's easy to simply believe there will never be a better one. But with rare exceptions, subsequent relationships, particularly if you're matched initially with the wrong sex partner, are much better, deeper, and more fulfilling because you know better what you want, and you are being more authentic.

Also keep in mind that ending the relationship doesn't have to mean ending the friendship. Quite a few gay guys I know have maintained amazing relationships with their former girlfriends, been "bridesmaids" at their weddings, and so forth. Don't expect that there won't be some difficulty at first, but in many cases, once that's past, the core pieces that made you compatible are still there, and you can still share each other's lives, albeit in a different way.

Finally, on the issue of your sexual orientation, like Dhamma, I suspect that you already have a pretty good idea of where you stand. If you know you've conditioned yourself to think about girls when masturbating, and when walking around looking... then it's pretty likely that your natural tendency is something else. So, as you said, scaling back those behaviors and letting yourself naturally do and be will help you to figure out whether the instincts that brought you to EC and to questioning yourself are correct or not. My guess is... you probably already know the answer but are having a little difficulty owning it, which is completely understandable.

For both of you, I hope you'll stick around and continue to share your experience, both so that others can benefit, and so that you can get more clarity and get yourselves moving in whatever direction is the right one for each of you. :slight_smile:

6. J Snow

Hi dhamma,

I actually think its very common for someone who is bisexual to have fluctuating tendencies. I've heard other bisexuals say that they kind of go through stages where sometimes they only look at men and other times they are only interested in women. There's nothing wrong with it, and you shouldn't feel guilty or confused about experiencing it.

In my opinion, I think what is causing that "hole" you described is exactly what you mentioned earlier. You need a way of exploring yourself and being free to explore your sexuality. I can relate to your situation from the opposite spectrum to an extent. I believe I'm gay and am in a relationship with a man, still I kind of wish I had that experience of being with a woman just to KNOW for sure if I'd enjoy it or not.

If I had to speculate I'd say you are probably bisexual to an extent, but likely you may have a preference to one gender or the other. You deserve the right to explore these possibilities and find what's right for you.

I think if you were truly happy with your relationship, you wouldn't be feeling all the fluctuation in which gender you are attracted to. Did you used to feel this earlier in your relationship? Its possible you've grown apart a bit and would be better off staying close friends.

7. DhammaGamer

@Chip
    I'm sitting in a room with my gf and a couple friends now so I'm mot able to type out a full response. Just wanted to thank you for your input and advice. I seriously appreciate it. It's given me a lot to think about.

@Jon Snow
    I kind of feel that way about pursuing a relationship with a man. While I'm still young, I don't want to miss an opportunity to discover who I really am, and the happiness a truly rewarding relationship could bring me. Sometimes I feel like I'm just a silly romantic though. I'm so indecisive and confused right now.

8. stilllovelyafte

Thanks Chip. Very helpful. Part of me believes down the road, she and I will play big roles in each other's lives. I think in time, she will forgive me, and our natural compatibility/affinity for each other will result in a rewarding friendship. It's just a long painful road b/w where I sit today and that point in the future. I honestly don't think suspects that me being gay is even the remotest of possibilities - I'm in no way implying that I am John Wayne, I just don't think her mind would go there.

I found your thoughts re early relationships to be very interested. Since this is my first relationship of any significance, I think a lot of my self esteem/self understanding is determined with reference to her. I worry about the void that comes after separating and before wherever I land next... I think this fear of losing her and hurting her is a key piece of why I am stuck.

The second piece, unfortunately, is that I just have so many questions for myself. It'll take me some time to untangle the web I've created by suppressing my thoughts and feelings, but until I do, I am feeling too vulnerable/scared to share with her. It's sort of a broken circuit - I feel like I can't tell her because I need to understand it better first and feel more resolved in my conclusions re identity and sexuality. I won't let myself explore because I feel that I'd need to tell her first.

Dhamma - sorry for distracting/detailing from the topic of your post - some of the responses took me in a bit of a different direction.