1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rap and rock?!?!..i need ur honesty

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by just b urself, Oct 1, 2011.

1. just b urself

Okay so i have lately been wondering if you can be in a rock band and also be a rapper too?ive been trying to ask people but the only reply i got so far was a no.he didnt say anything else,just no so i decided to come here and see what u guys think.u may think its weird..idk but i want to be a drummer in a rock band(music like three days grace/papa roach)and a rapper too.idk it might just be a temporary thing.well see,ive wanted to be in a band since i was in elementary school and i just recntly been thinkign about the rap thing because i think its fun and it makes me feel good so even though the rap thign might just be temporary i was wondering what do u guys think..Do u think its possible for someone to be in a rock band and a rapper?a famous rocker in a rock band and a famous rapper.

2. Uniboth

Linkin Park comes to mind...

3. Katelynn

Totally. See Aerosmith with Run DMC from like 1985. And that was ahead of its time. Nowadays, all the cool kids are doing it!

4. Katt

I'm a texan[: No.. we don't ride horses to school.
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello sweetheart!

Over the centuries, people have found some amazing, unique ways to express themselves. Some people are into dressing up in meat, making jell-o sculptures, or even make tiny replicas of monkey toenails (I'm sure there's somone out there XD), and other people paint, or draw, or write poems or just whatever. It really doesn't matter the method we choose, we are all connected by our need to express ourselves, whether it's rock, rap, or both. People have done crazier things, if you can even call expression "crazy". I can't, because what might be crazy to me, could very well be beauty to someone else. If rock and rap is your beauty, then I see no other alternative then to take it, go with it, and shout your passion from the rooftops!
    Good luck my friend.

5. just b urself

Thanks everyone.now im starting to feel a little better about this.i think it will be real hard to be in a rock band and be a rapper outside of the band.i think it owuld be easier for me to be in a rock/rap band.watcha think?like linkin park and hed pe.thats wat they r.i could play the drums and be the rapper in the band.cuz idk if the music industry would let me be in a rock band and then be a rapper as a side project thingy.. butt thank u @katt.wat u said is totally true.i didnt htink of it liek that.thank u so much.seriouslly.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why the hell can't you be both?

I've known several people who play/perform in different bands, who play different styles. Presumably the biggest variety is the guy who plays in a hip-hop group, DJs in clubs...AND plays in a brass quintet. The only limitations there are those you place on yourself...or those you allow others to place on you. :slight_smile:

Lex

7. needshelp

what's the problem? go ahead and do both. nothing's wrong with that. who says you can't be committed to both.

8. just b urself

thanks guys so do u think the music industry would seriouslly let me do both?wat bout my fans tht ill have cuz some poeple r reel close minded though with it and think u should secluded to one genre.

9. Katelynn

Hey, you know what, anything worth doing is hard! As for being in a rock band & being a rapper, the late, great Dee Dee Ramone was one of the founding members of the FIRST punk band, & then later went on to be a rapper in the 80s (I swear I'm not making this up, totally true), although he released under the name Dee Dee King for his rap stuff. so I figure if a punk legend can do it, then why not the rest of us too!?!

(*hug*) Your dreams are your dreams. Never let anyone take them from you! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

10. just b urself

thank u kiersten.u r so right.id get alot of hate but who cares?let the haters hate.it doesnt matter.no matter what their will be haters.it will just be hard cuz i mite be trans ftm and wen i take T if i am it will be hard to make my voice sond good since it will deepen but id want T

11. WydenEmmie

Out Status:
    A few people
    Go for it! The different music styles from each person in a band (rap/rock, pop/alternative orchestra/rock if you want) makes the band even better. So you could definitely be a rapper in a rock band. I know a band whose guitarist plays violen and a (metal, I think) band who has a flute player. :grin:

And though I can offer no advice on how you voice will sound if you start T, I'm sure you would find a way to make it sound awesome!

12. maverick

I think you depend on other people's opinions too much (not just on this, but on your haircut, your name, etc...). You need some serious self-determination if you really want to be a performer. Rock stars and rappers don't second guess themselves all the time because they know they're the bomb and they know their vision is true.

That being said, if you're into rap you need to study the Flobots. They're the best rappers I've ever heard. If you're into rock, you should study Rise Against and Tim McIlrath. Both of them are in this video:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsgbb23z27w[/YOUTUBE]

Also Sage Francis.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiV2stUu5RE[/YOUTUBE]

#12 maverick, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  13. just b urself

14. maverick

If you like HED PE, you should also check out Immortal Technique. He's a little obsessed with the NWO and the Illuminati, but it does make for some really great rap:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4m1HmjJIQM&feature=fvst[/YOUTUBE]

15. just b urself

yea,i liek that.its some great rap.real great rap.

16. Connor22

LIMP BIZKIT FTW

that is all, good luck :slight_smile:

17. just b urself

thank you.i love limp bizkit :slight_smile:

18. Mellowish

Rage Against the Machine seems to pull it off but i'd say they're more of a fight the system kind of band haha

19. darkcheesse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cfL7cPvIlA[/YOUTUBE]
    is this a ghood enough example

20. just b urself

thank u everyone.i was pretty doubtful about all of this but not so much anymore.rap being mixed in with rock is becoming very popular now..rap artists are even starting to do songs with rocks bands so ya :slight_smile: