1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused about sexual orientation. In desperate need of insight, please read!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rachel1423, Oct 2, 2011.

1. rachel1423

rachel1423 Guest

I seriously need to talk to somebody about my seuxal orientation. I am a woman who considers myself heterosexual. I always imagined growing up and marrying a man, starting a family, and being in deep love. Even at very young ages I experienced sexual attraction to the opposite sex, and always had cute little crushes on boys (the blondes especially). But ever since I hit puberty, I began to notice that I would get anxious around attractive girls my age and older. I would get nervous around any attractive woman for that matter. I would blush easily upon confrontation. They were always somewhat socially threatening to me, possibly due to the fact that I wasn't really a "girly" girl.

At the age of 12, I had my first girl-crush. Her name was Sam. However, at this age, I NEVER considered being gay. I didn't make the connection that I had feelings for this girl. It was an unreal feeling. I would get butterflies by her. I did anything in my will to make her happy, or to be by her. She was always on my mind, but I did my best to try to not act creepy. There was nobody that I cared for more than this one girl, not a family member, not a friend, not a boy. After she left our school and I cried myself to sleep for months at a time, I moved on to another girl.

We became best friends. I felt happier than I ever had been, for I had a history of depression as a child. She changed my life and kept me going, I remember thinking to myself that she was my motivation to go to school, so I could be with her for that 45 minutes in art class. We would hang out after school every day. I remember everytime I saw her pass in the hallway, my stomach would drop. Keep in mind, ALL of my girl crushes were much more attractive/popular than I. I had a tremendous amount of envy for all of then. My envy is what I believe started it all for each girl. PS, to this day I have kept my feelings hidden, and have only fantasized about admitting my feelings.

As the years went on, I met other friends that I had things for. I noticed a pattern that every year, or every other year, I would fall for a different girl. It was the same feeling, different girl. Never men. Until I met Jake. Jake was the first man that I had deep emotional connection with (and was suprisingly the strongest and most intense connection I have ever had with anybody). He was my first love. It was stronger than any feelings I had for the other girls. For the duration that I had him, I had no girl crush. We dated for a year. I thought that my girl-crush phase was over, but I was terribly mistaken. I began another state of depression because of this. I want to love a man. To this day, I still have feelings for the same girl.

As you can see, I have strong feelings towards women. However, I have absolutely no sexual attraction towards them. I would love to cuddle and hug the girl I have feelings for, but I could never touch her in a sexual way. Its just not attractive to me. On the other hand, I have an extremely high sexual attraction towards men. I love sex. I love the male body parts. My sex drive is also very high (not uncommon for an 18 year old). However, I find myself the man in the relationship. I would never call myself a "slut" or "whore", but I have not found ANY man besides my first love that I have had emotional feelings for, so I often only have open relationships with men. Friends with benefits is all I can bring myself do. Men often get frustrated with me, and fall for me easily. I break hearts, unintentionally. But at the end of the night, I don't want them around. I rather be alone or with her.

I'm lost. I need someone to talk to. I need insight, a story that can relate, anything. Please help me! And if you got this far, thank you SO much for taking your time to read this.

You're awesome! (!)

2. DhammaGamer

What is it about men that is sexually attractive and what is it aout women that is emotionally/socially attractive? Why was this Jake so different?

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC!

Your situation isn't that uncommon, although I see it more often in bisexual men...and, oddly, I see it with the genders the same. :slight_smile: If I can quote a colleague of mine who put it rather crassly, "men to fuck, women to date". He finds himself sexually attracted to men, and has no problem just having sex with them. But he has no emotional attachment to them. Whereas he "gets feelings" for women, but isn't that interested in having sex with them.

A lot of people seem to think bisexual means "attracted to both genders equally, and in the same way". And actually, neither of those is necessarily true. Bisexuals can be attracted more to one gender than the other (and that can switch as time goes on), and they can feel a different type of attraction to each one. It sounds like that might be where you are right now. And it sounds like you're going about it the right way. You're letting the guys know where you stand - "this is just going to be physical". It's a bit odd that they're falling for you, as the running joke is that 17-year-old guys just care about getting their rocks off, but there you are. :slight_smile: Just stay honest, and keep an open mind. You might find yourself getting feelings for a guy you're intimate with, or finding yourself getting physically attracted to some woman you have your eye on. If so, run with it. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. J Snow

I can kind of relate. I've always found girls cute. I still do in a different way then guys. Its only really when the clothes come off that my attractions really flip flop. Girl bodies are actually kind of unappealing to me, where as guy bodies... well let's just say I like them. Plus I fulfill more of the feminine role in the bedroom, so I suppose on a face level I'm attracted to girls (perhaps even more so then guys) but on a sexual level having sex with a girl just doesn't really seem appealing to me. Thus I define myself as gay these days.

5. rachel1423

rachel1423 Guest

I basically just get turned/ aroused very easily by a mans touch, and mainly his lower regions. For girls, I couldnt see myself going down there. But the girls just give me this feeling that only they can give me, besides Jake. The desire to always be with that one person, the chemistry, and the nerves. Some of my gay guy friends tell me that they think Jake is gay, and I've noticed that I'm interested in a lot of feminine guys. Weird huh? But to be honest, I cant really tell you why I fell for Jake, it just came naturally

6. Katt

I'm a texan[: No.. we don't ride horses to school.
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello Rachel!

I wouldn't worry too much about deciding what category you fall into, what you think you should consider yourself, or any of that. If you fall in love with a girl, you fall in love with a girl. If you fall in love with a boy, you fall in love with a boy. It doesn't really ever need to be more complicated than that. :]
    But if you're like me, and crave answers, and truly desire to put together the beautiful, intricate, mysterious puzzle that you are, well that's perfect too. Personally, I relate very strongly to this situation, and I hope I can give you some insight. I am bisexual, but as Lex said, I don't like them in the same way at all (because that'd just be too easy XD), I mostly lust for women, but I may or may not have feelings for them. If I do have feelings for a woman, it is usually because I feel in some way protective of them, and therefore don't feel any sexual attraction. With men, I share my serious committed relationships. Never lust alone.
    The differences one has in their perspective of guys vs girls is not really that different from the views they have of different people.
    I advise doing what really makes you happy. What REALLY makes you happy. What you really want, more than anything. That's what I want you to go get. And if you don't know what you really want, there's always tomorrow to find out. Make every fling, relationship, kiss, or anything at all, a learning experience! :]
    You'll find out your preferences before you know it. [:
    Maybe you'll find love AND lust in a guy.
    Maybe you'll find love AND lust in a gal.

And maybe you won't. But what's really important is that if you don't find it right away..

That maybe you'll never stop looking ;]
    Much love, I wish you the best of luck, and I sincerely hope this helps.

#6 Katt, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  7. rachel1423

rachel1423 Guest

To Jon Lex and Katt, thanks so much for the support, you guys are all so nice :slight_smile:

I feel that comfortably, I could say that I am bi. But at the same time, even with all of the experience in liking girls, I still have never discussed my feelings for them, I havent had any relationships with girls, and I havent even flirted with a girl... Much too timid. But you guys are right, theres no need to jump to conclusions right now.

I also have this weird denial thing going on... its like, I would be perfectly okay with admitting to myself that I'm bi, but the thought of being lesbian scares me. I'm all for lesbians, no hate here, but I feel pressured by myself to fall in love with a guy. And so far, its been all girls besides Jake. I dont know if I make total sense right now, Im almost confusing myself haha. Regardless, I want to grow up and have a family with the love of my life. And as shallow as it is, I would feel ashamed if the love of my life turned out to be a woman. Its almost like a fear...

---------- Post added 2nd Oct 2011 at 09:31 PM ----------

And to you again, I totally relate to you in this aspect. I want to know exactly what it is. I find it very beautiful. I feel that the more I go in depth of understanding my sexuality, I can learn to love and accept myself even more (not that I dont now, cause I totally do). But most of all, its just plain interesting to me.

Thanks again, a lot, because this is the first step I have ever taken to truly figure out my sexuality, so Im super confused and new at this. I mean, I dont even know how to use this website to be honest haha. :icon_bigg

8. J Snow

"I want to grow up and have a family with the love of my life."

Trust me, that scares me too. I'm perfectly happy being gay in the here and now. I want to have children with the person I love though and bring them home to dinner with my parents and siblings. I'm scared that unless I choose to be with a girl eventually, I'll never get those opportunities.

9. Hot Pink

I can be emotionally and sexually attracted to women, but I have been emotionally attracted to a boy once in high school. We really got along and he was fun to be around. Our personalities meshed well, but I always chocked it up to him being the first person to actually pay attention to me.

10. rachel1423

rachel1423 Guest

Same here, its like I have no problem saying that I like girls. But when it comes to the future, I'm really afraid that I'll never find someone (as in a guy) to settle down with. At least I'm only a first year in college haha, so its comforting to have so much time :eusa_danc

11. xXPsychedelicXx

I'm pretty confused myself. I know I like guys; heck, I'm head-over-heels in love with my boyfriend. But I can still look at a girl and think, "Damn, she's cute." Ohhh, the confusion.
    But you're right, you've still got loads of time to figure everything out. I personally believe that you don't have to label yourself, or put yourself into a specific group. Just go with the flow. Life and love have a way of sorting themselves out in the end. :slight_smile:

12. rachel1423

rachel1423 Guest

Did you and this guy have like, a natural chemistry? Or was it kind of one of those things when you're just flattered? Just out of curiosity

---------- Post added 3rd Oct 2011 at 09:47 AM ----------

Exactly! Random, but one thing that frustrates me is not being able to be like "damn" when I see a cute girl walking and I'm with my friends. Its so annoying! And most of the time I see more cute girls than guys. My girl friends will tell me to look over at some cute guy, but I'm totally not interested, and I have to pretend like I am

13. DefineNormal

DefineNormal Guest

I had exactly the same problem. I accepted that I was bi then came out for the first time only about a week of two later. I hated the idea that I could be a lesbian and it honestly terrified me- the whole thing about not having a family, love of life, marriage. Then one day a little while ago I was thinking about it again and I realised that I could actually still have all those things. There's nothing stopping you, even if it may be a little more of a challenge, isn't it worth it if you're in love? I'll admit that I'm still scared, but I know that things will turn out okay.

It doesn't matter what label you end up taking as long as you're happy. Take some time and I pretty much garuntee that things will look brighter. Your brain can be a bitch, but it also can make us happier than we've even imagined. I hope everything works out (*hug*)

14. rachel1423

rachel1423 Guest

I have told my best friend about the girl that I'm interested right now, but he still thinks I'm straight because I haven't told him about anyone or anything else. He thinks that I'm just going through a stage... maybe this happens to other straight girls too? But anyway, I want to come out to him about my thoughts so far. Do you have any further advice on coming out?

And thanks a lot for the input! Never thought I could find people this supportive... weird huh