1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do I go?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tiny Catastrophe, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Tiny Catastrophe

I just found out my program for college is going to drop me because I don't have enough credits to get my high school diploma. I was in a program to get my high school diploma and to attend college simultaneously. I'm now going to get dropped from my college and I don't get any of my credits which puts me back at square one. When I told my mom she told me I have to move out by tomorrow. The problem is I don't know where to go. I don't have a car, a job or money and I don't know what to do.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apparently, at one point, you were working on your high school diploma and your college courses at the same time, with everybody aware of what was going on. But now your college is dropping you because you dont' have enough credits to get your high school diploma. What happened between then and now? Did you drop courses? Fail a couple? Just not take enough? What?

Lex

3. Tiny Catastrophe

I had to take a medical leave last semester and I only had a year to complete the credits and I don't have enough

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you sat down with some people at the college to discuss what happened? I mean, it would make sense for them to boot you if you had simply slacked off or failed to produce, but taking a medical leave seems to suggest that you were hamstrung by things beyond your control. It's possible that they'd be willing to work with you to come up with some sort of compromise.

As far as your mother goes, you might tell her that you're planning to talk to the college about possibly working something out. If she's adamant about you moving out, it'll be up to you to figure out some sort of short-term solution. Do you have any friends whose floor you can crash on for an extremely limited time?

Lex

5. ukeye

ukeye Guest

I'd write the college a letter.. things are always better in writing..

Sounds like you have ample excuse to resume your studies.. when i did uni, they had a FNS grade (fail not sat), hope they have something like that for you.. and in your circumstances, that is a lot of work - doing HS and college work.. I think you may just be fine if you can explain that you are keen to continue studying and the trouble it has caused you.

6. maverick

^ I agree with these guys. I'd write a letter making your case, and also make an appointment to see the Dean personally. When you meet with him/her, throw yourself on that person's mercy. Most college bureaucracies are inscrutable obstacles which can seem faceless and punitive, just like government bureaucracies, unless you get in there and make a friend on the ground with someone in the know. Once you put a face to your file, you're much likely to be treated graciously.

Make a friend.

And by friend, I mean, "the new acquaintance who is going to try and use their in-house influence to save your education."

As for your mom, tell her you are in the process of handling it and throw yourself on her mercy, too. I don't know why her reaction would be so dire, but you're obviously not in a financial position to be independent right now.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myyWXKeBsNk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBQf9noA7xY[/YOUTUBE]