1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I met a guy

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LookingGlass, Oct 3, 2011.

1. LookingGlass

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Now what? lol

So far, we've just gone on one date to the movies. We are planning on going out again this weekend.

Not too experienced in the dating department. Any tips? Steps to take? Things not to do?

Also, I've been trying to find an excuse to text him so that we could enjoy short conversations on occasion, but I'm just not sure what to say. "How's your day?" just doesn't seem too creative to me lol

I haven't brought up facebook either. I figured it would be a better idea to learn about him by spending time with him first rather than from a social network.

Any advice would be great!

2. Jim1454

How did you meet him?

If you've been on a date, and you're planning to go on another, I don't think it would be a bad idea to let him know in the mean time that you're thinking about him. A text message to see how his day is going would be fine. Don't over think it - just be yourself. If you're thinking of him and wondering how his day is going - go ahead and ask.

3. LookingGlass

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks for your response!

Admittedly, we met online and actually talked for a while before actually meeting in person. He asked me out to the movies via text out of the blue and of course, I accepted. He also paid for my ticket. I was flattered at that, but a little embarrassed and offered to pay next time.

Typically, "how's your day" texts don't really create good conversations. I find that both parties will just say "good, u" or some variation of that, get a response and the conversation kind of dies afterwards.

Perhaps I am over-thinking it and should just give us more time to get to know each other?

4. EM68

Meeting online is not a bad thing. I met my husband online. :grin: Texting him is not bad. It just shows you are interested. If you are getting board with texting 'How's ur day?' you may want to text him some ideas for your next date. That way you can have a longer conversation.

As far as a second date. Maybe go out to dinner so you have some time to talk. One of my favorite dates was going to a bookstore. You can both see what kinds of things you like. Good Luck! :slight_smile:

5. RedState

Well, one of the worst things you can do is over think these things...but we all have been guilty of that from time to time.

If you are planning on going out again this weekend that is a good first step and a good sign. EM has a good suggestion...zap him a text--being somewhat casual--saying something like "hey I know this great little joint that has great..whatever (insert what you like to eat here) you want to stop there before the show?" Or "Hey you want to grab a beer before hand?" Something along those lines...I've always found the more casual these first encounters are the better. It may not lead to an involved dialogue, but it's a good start. Have fun!