1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GLBT Friends and Moving

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ukeye, Oct 3, 2011.

1. ukeye

ukeye Guest

How does everyone find this? In the town I grew up in I have some great gay friends.. but I just can't stand to go back to the town. When I do go home, I have fun there w/ friends so I kind of have to balance the good with the bad. Lots of shitty memories of the place though so theres a lot of bad.

Ive got a lot of time on my hands and need to be social.. Maybe I should go for a road trip. I just can't decide.:bang:.. When I go there I always feel like really grounded and odd, and sometimes I get stuck there and can't believe its so still (in the country).. but its really comforting all the same..what should i do? :eek:

How does everyone find the distance/friends thing. Especially with GLBT friends. Good gay friends are hard to come by I reckon.

2. Jim1454

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you not able to make new friends where you've moved to? That would seem ideal to me.

What I've found is that the friends I had growing up (i.e. through to the end of high school) are NOT the friends I have today. I made much better friends in university and then at work - and I find that I don't really have much in common with the people I grew up with. And for me it isn't a city vs. country thing - I grew up in the city.

But I wasn't out when I was younger - so those friends weren't 'gay' friends - they were just friends. But then again the friends from university or work aren't 'gay' friends either.

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I'm also confused as to what exactly is the question. Is it about whether or not to visit your friends or about getting new ones?

If its about making new friends then I think its time to move on with your new life and start making your own group where you live. That doesn't mean you forget about your old friends, but it means that you just make new friends where you live. Some who you might just get really close to :slight_smile:

4. ukeye

ukeye Guest

:dry:Yeah I really didn't know what I was asking sorry..

I was trying to decide to see friends who live a few hrs away, and am doing so tomorrow (!)

Yes, starting a new life is good and well in a new place, but difficult *sigh*. I won't give up, nevverrrr :eusa_liar