1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapy, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Scandinavian, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Scandinavian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For the first time in my life I'm starting to realize that I need help. I'm a mess. So I am thinking of going to therapy. But i'm not sure if I want to tell some strangers all my secrets. I mean, what if he/she is homophobic or something?

What is your experience with therapy? does it help? Do is it make you feel better?

My life is like a sad grey french movie, I haven't told anyone in my life that I'm gay. And its all just grey. I need help, can therapy fix me? or at least help me to get out of the closet?

I feel so stuck :help:

2. LikeMyCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    imo it all depends on the therapist. I've had good ones and bad ones. If you get a bad vibe, leave and don't come back. Keep looking until you find a good one! They do exist, and they can help a lot.
    I'm pretty sure I'm still alive b/c of a therapist I had 5 years ago.

3. Watz08

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Therapy is definitely worth it. I had been going to therapy over the summer and I'd say I feel a lot better about my life. I went to try and find out why I had trouble connecting with others and although it wasn't completly fixed I now understand the problem better and have some tools that will help me overcome it somewhat.

As for my sexuality I didn't really talk about it but that's something to remember, you can talk about whatever you want. If you're not comfortable telling a stranger you're gay or some other secret you don't have to. You can wait and tell your therapist when you're ready, they won't push you. I woundn't worry about them judging you since they do want to help.

I would say overall therapy is a good way to learn more about yourself. If anything it gives you a different perspective on how others see you. There were some tough moments when discussing some topics but for the most part I always felt better when I left. Give it a try, you might be happy with the results. :slight_smile:

4. jimL

I got lucky and found a therapist that is a lesbian. She has been great. Maybe see if there is a site that lists ones with a specialty. My experience is also that they don't push you into telling anything you don't want to. But they can only help you if you tell them what your problem really is. I was not completely truthful with my first few visits but then told myself that I needed to be completely honest if I really wanted her to help me. It was hard since I have been hiding and lying all my life, but I did it. Good luck, and hopefully you will find the right person.

5. stilllovelyafte

DEFINITELY worth it. I have told no one but my therapist at this point. We're really working hard to get me more comfortable with the idea of being gay and, ultimately, telling others. It has been so helpful to have someone to bounce ideas off of. I honestly don't know where I'd be without therapy.

That being said, MAKE SURE YOU FIND A GOOD ONE. I'd make consultations with more than one. You will pretty quickly get a feel of his or her personality, approach, etc.

6. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think therapy can definitely be worth it. Telling your secrets or your life story to a stranger might be a little weird at first but they are educated and know how to handle different situations that arise. They are to be confided in and hopefully you can learn to trust them. I would recommend seeing a counselor or therapist if you're considering it. :slight_smile:

7. TraceElement

I think the first step for you was admitting that you need help. I applaud that, knowing personally how hard it is to admit that. I am currently seeing a psychologist for therapy and working with her has brought some ugly feelings up, but has forced me to take a look at my life, and start to fix things, like communication skills.
    Will therapy "fix" you? Depends on your definition of fix. Will therapy help you cope and work on issues in your life? Yes. BUT you have to be willing to put the effort in to change.