1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little help on the start

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GarrettB, Oct 6, 2011.

1. GarrettB

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So, I just started college, and coming out of the closet has become somewhat more of an issue. I come from a small town (around 1500 people) and as you can imagine, I've had pretty much no contact with the gay community. I've always had issues with girlfriends. With each one, it never went anywhere and it seemed like a chore because I wasn't really interested in them. Basically I've been interested more in guys for the past three or four years, and that's been somewhat hard on me. No one knows I'm gay, and I have trouble even admitting it to myself. I think what I really need is to go meet some other gay guys, but I feel weird just walking into the college's LGBT center. It just seems a little odd, walkin in there and sayin hi guys, just thought I'd come check it out.

I guess if anyone has a pointer or some advice? Gracias!

2. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, welcome to EC. I would recommend going to the LGBT club. Anyone is welcome there and I'm sure they're always getting new members. That's probably your best bet at meeting gay guys on campus. College is a lot more open minded in general so it shouldn't be hard making new friends. I think you should give it a try. The worse that can happen is you feel you don't like it.

3. george678

Firstly, welcome to EC. :slight_smile:

Secondly, I agree with Gerry, I would join a LGBT club on campus. There will be other people like you who are in the closet and who are questioning or just coming to terms with being Gay.

They will be there to help you and you will meet new friends who you can talk to because they would of have gone through the same thing as us all or who are questioning like yourself.

4. addie88

"walkin in there and sayin hi guys, just thought I'd come check it out."

that's exactly what's expected. lol. don't wait for an invitation in the mail. "we know who you are. come to us." that's just creepy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

so don't be afraid to just throw yourself out there. talking to other gays really helps you figure yourself out-- whether you're gay, straight, bi, trans, whatever. it helps you realize that other people are going through this process too.

simply being in the lgbt atmosphere may help you accept yourself. you never know until you try. :slight_smile:

5. ultrabluecheese

^ Major lulz, and I totally agree.

I think it would be a good idea to go with a friend whom you know is supportive of your sexuality. If you don't have a friend like that, however, then it just might be better to go by yourself and make friends who are supportive.

It's nervewracking at first, but you'll come to terms with who you are when you surround yourself with those who have already gone through that stage and are willing to help others get to that point as well. :slight_smile:

#5 ultrabluecheese, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  6. Ianthe

Do they have any more structured activities? Sometimes, it's easier to go and meet people if there is something specific to do. It takes some of the pressure off. So, does the college group host any activities beyond just hanging out? Maybe you could go to something like that.