1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resources for coming out to conservative/religious parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by isquivenitex, Oct 6, 2011.

1. isquivenitex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm currently in the process of coming out to some of my close friends but am planning to come out to my extremely religious (Southern Baptist) and conservative family members sometime in the near future. Their faith is pretty much the most important thing in their lives, and they believe that homosexuality is a sin. Needless to say, this is not going to be an easy conversation to have. I was just wondering if anyone could recommend any resources, like books, movies, or other websites, that might be helpful for my parents. I know about PFLAG, although I'm not sure there's one very close to my hometown or if they would be amenable to going. I'd just like to have some resources to give them when I do come out. Thanks in advance for the advice!

2. Chandra

3. FJ Cruiser

I don't have any resources to recommend, I just thought I'd say I'm in a similar situation. I grew up in a Southern Baptist church, and though my immediate family no longer identifies with the denomination, they are still fundamentalist and faith is the most important thing in their lives.

You didn't indicate what your personal stance on faith was, but if you ever want to talk about it, feel free to send me a message. :slight_smile:

4. bdman

I know how you feel. I mentioned in a previous post that my parents are huge Pat Robertson fans. They take the bible literally. I once mentioned advice from Suze Orman to my mom who didn't want to hear it b/c she knows she is a lesbian.

5. jake v

Hey bud, this is an area I take seriously because I am gay and stand strong in my Christianity. First look in soulforce.org "what the bible does and doesnt say about homosexuality". This will give you a lot of great info for you. Make sure you read and understand this before coming out to another christian. I really needed the help when I told my sis and bro.

Get ready for a very long conversation with lots of tears and probably some harsh words. Just stand firm in your beliefs and let them know how this has affected you as a Christian. If you tell them you still believe and love god they should realize that you are becoming stronger in your faith, contrary to the belief that gays are god haters. Good luck, I'm planning on telling my parents before I do the Facebook post on Tue for Nat. Coming out day.

6. closetedafraid

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow, I thought I was the only one going through this... You can read some of my posts because I am in a very similar situation as you are. I am sorry I don't have any advice because I my situation (if not worse) is very much the same as yours.

Feel free to message me anytime if you want to talk!

7. Eleanor Rigby

8. jake v

Alright, I just came out to my religious, semi-homophobic parents and I have to tell you it went tons better than I had anticipated. They were making food for the football game and I told them I had something important to tell them that I needed to talk to them. We all go onto the patio and I say "I." and then a minute later I get out "I'm gay." They just sat there, staring out into the yard in silence for about five minutes, I don't think they were even breathing. Next thing I hear is my dad saying, "I understand that people are born that way... It is a struggle I can't even imagine. I do believe it is a sin, but we are all born sinners and none of us are perfect."

Me and my father had a very calm and rational conversation, and I notice my mother hasn't even shifted in her chair for fifteen minutes. I asked her if she had anything to say and she responded "I just don't get it."

"Get what?''

"Just how two men could ever be attracted to each other," In a sickened kind of tone.

So I say, "Well that's probably why you are not a gay man."

We all started laughing and the whole situation was relaxed so we could all talk. It turned out to be an overall great talk, I feel so much better I cannot even explain to you.

Just mentally and spiritually prepare and be prepared for a bad reaction. I also told my sister who called me a sinner and that I was living a disgusting lifestyle. Most likely your parents will be okay, you are their child and should accept you no matter what. Send me a message if you have any questions.

Good luck

Joelle b likes this.