1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is long but please read it; it's about me and my friend..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by don29002, Oct 8, 2011.

1. don29002

I have a crush on my friend John in my drama class but this is the whole story. I'm a bi guy and a sophomore in high school btw. John's a freshman. I just now felt courageous enough, after all you'll read in my story, to add him on Facebook.

Signs
    Some of the things he's done that made me think he either liked me or is not straight:
    1) He blew me an air kiss once;
    2) We as a class had to do role playing and pretend we were at a gala and every time our teacher passed us "cake" we had to become another character each time. So by the last character (the 4th one) I saw John and he asked me as a joke "Wanna have sex?" and I started busting out laughing but our teacher wanted us to bring it in as a class and "discuss" the role playing.
    Although if we were alone and he asked me that, I would've gladly had sex with him, he's hot....
    3) We were roleplaying again but it was in the style of the Mafia PS3 games except we turn around, close our eyes for 3 minutes, and then turn around again, our teacher says "There's 3 killers" and we would have to walk around and "introduce ourselves." By the time I saw John I pretended I was a British actor named John Tyler with a weird British accent, and that I had "just got off the boat from England." So I walk up to John and "introduce" myself (even though for real we're friends) and I said "Ello, I'm Jon Tyler and I'm an actor. I just made a movie with Angelina Jolie." And here's John: "I'm Carlisle, I'm a plastic surgeon, and I'm gay."
    Well we did have to roleplay and make up a character.... and a profession, and John added an orientation...
    4) I remember now that I think he kissed me on my left cheek during a drama skit. In my head I was in love with him. I haven't told anyone anything about that incident for fear of it being spread and too many scandals and rumors.

But John is always acting gay. Doing gay gestures and the like. I'm not stereotyping, I'm just saying. So anyway I'm bi and I have a massive crush on him as I've said already. We know each other just in drama class (the last period of school) and not outside of school. Btw I haven't told him I'm bi yet. (And still haven't)

Wednesday-Friday
    I have a friend Tiara who's new and doesn't know too many people, and I befriended her by telling her funny jokes and stories, blah blah blah. So when I wanted to be serious, and test the waters, I told her I'm bi. (I thought I had told her before that but she said no...)
    And after I told her I'm bi, she asked me if there are any guys I like, and I started to think of the laundry list of guys I tell people about on Yahoo that I like in school but when I tell people face to face my mind goes blank. Long story short I thought of my friend John, from drama class. I thought if I should tell her or not for a second but relying on encouragement from people at Gay Teen Forum I went ahead and told her.
    This past Thursday: So on Thursday she basically outed what (I thought) was in confidence between me, her, and our friends Christine and Khalia. She basically "announced" to the class that I like John. Wanna know something worse? She said it right in front of our TEACHER. Embarrassing, yes; a burden off my shoulders, no. She also told me after she blurted it in front of everybody that he said he's not gay which I'm fine with, even though he does do (and say) a lot of gay things. But I'll let it go. I don't obsess over what I do wrong or why he doesn't like me, because I'll get someone who treats me right and makes me feel appreciated.
    So with that being said: 1) Should I have told her in the first place? 2) And also is it wrong she did these things to me?

Then later that day she TOLD him. And according to her "he said he's not gay."
    However, not only did she tell him, but yesterday she announced in front of the whole CLASS in drama that I have a crush on John.
    The best part about it was that even though she told him, the day after that all freshmen [including John] had to go to an assembly; therefore, he wasn't there the whole period.
    Now in drama people are always calling John my boyfriend as a joke, even though he's not gay (and I'm not either) and he still acts gay around me which is ok for me.
    Friday
    On Friday Tiara was noticeably absent from drama class.... I wonder if it was karma....
    But I still have a massive crush on John but since he's straight (like every other guy in my high school; my town is dominated by 99.98% straight people; the other .02% is me and my friend Aeron we're friends that have a bromance [in my opinion] and there will never be anything between us for the rest of high school.

I've been reanalyzing what I did wrong from the very moment I told Tiara I like John this past Wednesday all the way until now. It's made me feel like I make a ton of mistake in my life. Before John, I threw myself at at least 7 other straight guys in my high school (but 1 of those 7 seemed like he was maybe bi or something but now that one person is in my geometry class and he still does some stuff he did in our freshman year) and at least 2 girls; the Plastic Barbie types.
    In between the one not straight guy and John, I was only obsessed with wanting to date only slightly, but recently I grew a pair, had to face the facts that every guy in my town is straight and a jokester (there are absolutely no homophobic people where I live though, in terms of kids my age: 15-18) and that I'd be waiting maybe 6-7 years before people have the balls to actually want me as a person not a toy.

So my questions are:
    1) Was it wrong for me to tell her and wrong of her to tell him?
    2) Should I just stop dating altogether even though I've never had a girlfriend or a boyfriend?
    3) What should I do differently the next time someone who might/actually IS gay or bi OPENLY walks in my life?

2. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

1) Yes, I don't think it was a very good idea to tell her to begin with, remember that everyone makes mistakes. I'm not sure why the people in that gay teen forum would tell you to go for it considering you dont know her very well. One thing I've learned in the past is to never tell anything personal to people you've know only a short couple of months, I had situtation where a supposed friend of mine just totally backstabbed me and luckily I didn't tell him anything personal. I never tell anyone my sexuality unless they are my bestfriends or they're friends I've had for about a year because everyone can be so fake these days, and even if you've known people for that long that are just aquantinces thats a bad idea to becuase its not good to trust them with that kind of stuff because I was almost outed by this one girl who is bi but for some reason just totally doesnt care if I'm outed -.-. The good thing is that your friend in the drama class doesn't hate you or anything and seems totally normal and fine about it.

2)You don't have to give up on looking for someone, but it's not good to worry your head about it either

3) Just act totally normal, don't immidiately hit on them and tell them stuff because it's not good to trust people you barely know. Befriend the person or something, and I'm sure later a time will come when you would know if he likes you or not :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Wish you the best of luck with everything (*hug*)

3. Yuya

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey i think you should have a talk with John. What Tiara did was wrong and a total abuse of your trust. I don't really know the context of it and will assume that she decided to be a bitch and it is after all a "drama" class. But yea I would encourage you to talk to John.

Tell him about how you felt about him and then told Tiara who microphoned it to the whole class and teacher. Tell him that you like him but you respect him more as a friend and you would like to keep the friendship if possible. You've never done anything to disrespect him so why would you start now? I'm sure if he's a good friend he'll be on your side.

Good luck bro.

4. Rooni321

1) Yes; that was the ultimate crappy friend thing to do

2)Well I don't think you should look at it that way. Maybe instead just don't think about dating or obssess over whether or not you're with someone. Most likely everything will fall into place if that's not your main focus.

3)Well, If you have feelings for them and they have feelings for you then make a move :slight_smile:

5. don29002

Those 2 paragraphs are the best response I've gotten in 2 days.
    I will talk to him. I was just talking to him the morning before Tiara blurted it to the whole class, and John wanted me to do one of my jokes. (I'm a jokester in drama; the jokesters of the class are me and my friend Alex. I do an awesome British accent, say funny one liners about situations, and do comical impressions; Alex is Asian (and also VERY sexy but I have a crush on him from afar) and he does a lot of funny stuff too. He does an Asian waiter skit, (in an Asian voice) a country hillbilly voice that had me in tears laughing. While I was doing my British accent, of course.
    And I feel John will be on my side. Thanks for the awesome response, I don't know how to thank you enough.

6. Yuya

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're welcome!

7. Mad Man L

Sorry for later reply, but I'll give some advice as well:

1) For you to tell her, considering she was a close-ish friend, was understandable. For her to announce it to the entire class, however, was a hugely bitchy (excuse the language, but it is) thing to do, especially when the other person is (potentially) straight. I remember a similar thing happened to me on a school trip (well, it more became mass-spread gossip, but anyway), and it basically screwed up my life for a few days. From that point onward, said crush avoided me like I was going to rape him at first opportunity.

But back to your story, she really shouldn't have done that. Period. I'd in future avoid telling her that, and when you're first coming out, you should be very cautious in who you tell unless you have no issue with it spreading.

2) Don't give up on looking for somebody already, just move on. But if everyone you know is straight (like in my life as well), just give up hope on finding a gay/bi guy for a while.

3) If you have feelings for them, go for them as you would a straight/bi girl.

Also, on the note of John, while he says he is straight, I wouldn't be surprised if he was just closeted considering he's only in Year 9. But it still probably means that he won't want to date you or anything like that. I would also consider discussing the whole thing with John to make sure that he's not getting bugged by it. I know that my straight crush could not give a shit about how much I like him, but the fact his friends seem to constantly go on about it pisses him off big time. John could feel the same.

Finally, as a general rule, avoid telling people your crushes, unless it is more obvious than the sky being blue or something like that. Unless you've got 110% confidentiality between you and your friend, it will somehow find its way around until everybody knows.

8. don29002

About #1: 1a: I curse, so please don't excuse yourself. 1b: I have no issue with it spreading, although only people in my drama class and my friends [and maybe his] know. The only person who really would [I'm assuming] have a problem with it is John, and I'll talk to him on Monday about what happened last Thursday because he wasn't there.
    About #2: Remember when I said some of our friends were making fun of the two of us during drama? (If you don't, now you know.) His friend Dana (who's a guy) and also another guy Tyrod (who's in our drama class and in my sophomore geometry class who I hate very much) kept on saying "John your boyfriend (me) wanna tell you something" (Dana) and "Donald your best friend wants to tell you something" (Tyrod) every time they were addressing us by name. Tyrod at least didn't say boyfriend; Dana pissed me off when he called John my boyfriend out loud. In my head I loved it since it's my internal imagination.
    About #3: So far I've only told close friends from outside drama class, no one else. I've told non close friends [besides Tiara] my crushes and only one time someone told and it didn't ruin my life. But I did tell Tiara I'm bi and she was accepting of me and she asked me if there's anyone I like. (We were in the hallways then; the day before we were on the soccer field) So I told her I like my 2 friends who happen to be named Andrew, someone I have (a what used to be a) love (now it's a) and hate relationship with named Bradley, and John. I asked her if she knows the Andrews and she said "No. I'm new. I don't know that many people."

---------- Post added 9th Oct 2011 at 10:49 PM ----------

:d <3

---------- Post added 9th Oct 2011 at 10:51 PM ----------

:slight_smile: <333

#8 don29002, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011