1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pirateninja, Dec 5, 2007.

1. pirateninja

You may remember an old post of mine complaining that my school wouldn't allow a GSA. Have been pushing toward one since and have progressed to a talk with the deputy head about why we would need one. Basically she said:
    • That every minority will want a group
    • That it's not in the school's "tradition"
    • That it's not up to the school to set up these things
    • That the school already provides resources for people to go to if they have "problems"

So I retaliated and said that if the school wouldn't allow a GSA would they at least include certain things to the school:

• Specifically acknowledging homophobic bullying in the anti-bullying policy
    • Not tolerating homophobic language in school
    • Telling students specifically that they can talk to the school counsellor about sexuality
    • More awareness on homosexuality/homophobia
    • Allow students to know that the school does not tolerate homophobia

And they said they'd try. I don't know, part of me thinks that "Good, I'm spreading awareness to the departmental heads and the school" but part of me thinks that I've given up on the GSA and am not doing enough. I'm kinda looking for maybe a bit of either reassurance that yes, I've done enough that I can do, or urging on saying no, you need to do more. And if I need to do more, what else should I put to the Deputy Head to include in school policy?

#1 pirateninja, Dec 5, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  2. Louise

I think in light of the headmaster's initial resistance you have done as much as you can for th moment. Sometimes you just have accept to take baby steps.

Having said that I wouldn't give up if I were you. Make sure that the suggestions you have made are put into practice, when this is done and accepted attitudes towards homosexuality in your school will slowly change as enlightenment dawns. Once there is recognisable support from department heads and other kids that is the moment to bring up the GSA again (in a year or two)

Even if you don't get it done in your lifetime(at that school of course:lol: ) you can pass the flame to someone else knowing that you have already cut a path for them to follow.

Of course in n ideal world you head would have accepted your proposal but at least he is open minded enough to accept some of your suggestions. Attitudes are changing all the time towards homosexuality, it may be two steps forwards and one step back but there is still noticible progress if you look back 10, 20, 30 years ago.

Keep up the good work :thumbsup: