1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creative ways of coming out + 'So your daughter is a lesbian?' kit

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hitchhiker, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Hitchhiker

OK SO. You know how when people are proposing they get really creative with it? And the more AWESOME it is the harder it is for the guy/girl to say no to the proposal? I was wondering if the same would pertain to a creative coming out!
    So far my only idea is getting a sign that says ' LESBIAN (with an arrow pointing up @ face)' and riding a roller coaster, then at the part when they take the picture, taking out the poster and smiling.
    unfortunately this will not work for me, as I am terrified of roller coasters and also hate amusement parks.
    BUT ALONG THOSE LINES
    Also I was thinking about putting together a 'so your daughter is a lesbian' kit for my parents. It would have stuff like books, brochures, and other like... information along with like cute stuff like chocolate or something. I DONT KNOW. I was hoping for ideas.

This is basically my way of putting off coming out even though I know I should do it soon. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but I guess you only come out to your parents once so I want to make it ~SPECIAL~?
    or am I way overthinking this

2. Chandra

I think your ideas are great, and could go over really well (with the right parents, of course). Everybody has their own way of dealing with potentially stressful situations, and if yours is to have some fun with it, I say more power to you! :slight_smile:

3. Bosco

I like the general direction this is going in.
    Personally I've always liked the emphasis on special milestones throughout life, but have always found the traditional methods too cliched.
    Coming out to me is no exception. NCOD is coming up, but I feel like that's just too bland xD

No good ideas to contribute at the moment though :frowning2: just wanted to throw in my opinion

4. addie88

for some reason, the first thing i thought of when I saw this was a pizza delivery guy coming to your front door, and he opens the box to reveal a pizza where the pepperoni is spelled out in the word LESBIAN. but that's just weird and kinda awkward to order over the phone. :confused: that and paying a guy to inscribe cloud-words in the sky with an airplane (YOUR DAUGHTER'S A HOMOSEXUAL) but that might be a little too public. and expensive.

other than that, unfortunately, i don't have any other ideas. and the "so your daughter's a lesbian" kit sounds cool too. way to have fun with things that generally aren't very fun :grin:

5. Tiny Catastrophe

That's a really fun idea. I never thought of doing something like that. I came out to my mom totally on accident during a fight. She knows what to say to me to make me flip out and then tell her what she wants from me. Although she was not expecting that. I would've much rather did something more creative and at a later time.

6. redstormrising

I think this is a terrifically awesome and creative idea! Wish I'd thought of it :slight_smile: as for suggestions . . . a rigged fortune cookie? (not sure how you'd do this, i guess very carefully with tweezers?) or maybe carved into a pumpkin, given the time of year?

7. Chandra

:lol: That would be awkward but PRICELESS.

8. flymetothemoon

I really like the idea of a kit. You could even include a letter from you or something like that and explain that you understand if they have concerns and you want to be able to help them understand where you are coming from better so you prepared this kit with resources for them.

9. Rooni321

Oh gad that would happen to me too. That's what ALWAYS happens.

10. MyJunkIsYou

I can't remember on what site I saw this, but there was a post a few months ago from somebody who worked for FOX asking for people to sign up to appear on their new tv show. The premise was that the person would surprise family or friends with big news via a flash mob. The advert actually stated were looking for people who wanted to come out about their sexuality. I sometimes wonder if this show actually ever got made and if so where was the great lesbian flash mob of '11

11. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    lol this is great. I wish I had come up with a creative way to come out to my mom. You all are too funny.

12. flymetothemoon

FOX Broadcasting Company - Mobbed TV Show - Mobbed TV Series - Mobbed Episode Guide

13. Daisy1

You could write it on a cake. This cake would be pretty sweet.

[​IMG]

14. Foxywolf

#14 Foxywolf, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  15. Silver Sparrow

Make it fun. I was considering writing "Proud" on my shirt in rainbow colors for When I grow up day at school, but I think all of your ideas are great as well

16. Vesper

No, no, you're not overthinking this, because it's worth making the only time special. I wish I had some brilliant idea to give you, but I'm not all that creative. Instead, I'll just endorse your idea of a coming out "kit". The kit could be put in a box or bag that you've personalized, and it could include things like a PFLAG brochure, handmade crafts, a personalized note (or letter, per flymetothemoon's suggestion), etc.

17. BlueFoxfireS8

That's such an awesome idea. XD I just wish I was a cool as you are with things like this. :\
    I think it's a great way to enjoy and celebrate who you are plus come out to your parents, unless they don't like surprises. :|

18. MommaFrog

One way I thought of is to leave open an internet window about how to come out to your parents on the family computer... let one of them find it.... just a thought

19. Steph97

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Maybe you could just offer to pick up pizza on the way home and before you go inside write "I'm a lesbian" or whatever on the inside of the box so then they see it when they open it.

20. Average Joe

That's a brilliant idea, Hitchhiker. I can't think of anything really special right now. The only thing that comes to my mind is writing them a song.