1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do I convince a friend?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lucas52, Oct 9, 2011.

1. lucas52

lucas52 Guest

So i have come out as being transgender to a few people and one just doesn't believe me. I tried to convince him and he just doesn't see how I could be a guy. I really want him to understand because he is a really good friend but he just thinks i'm lesbian no matter how much i tell him i'm not. I need him as a friend and I want him to understand but how can i convince him that I truly am a guy?

2. Katt

I'm a texan[: No.. we don't ride horses to school.
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey Lucas!

Welcome to Empty Closets! I know how frustrating this can be, keep in mind though that YOU know exactly who you are, he doesn't.
    Most people don't understand the concept of transgender, so they try and make it make sense in thier minds by calling it lesbian or gay. It's incredibly angering to have someone undermind your sexuality, or tell you what you are, but it's only because they don't understand it. It's possible they don't understand it because they've never encountered anything like it, or just because it puzzles them. Either way, don't let thier remarks or opinions make you angry. If you get mad, they'll never have te chance to really understand what it's like to be you!
    There is a television show, called Degrassi, that you might want to show him. There is a female to male transgendered character named Adam, who struggled with peoples strange ideas of him. It might clear things up for him.

I hope this helps sweetheart! I'll be praying for you. Much love!

3. Katelynn

Hi Lucas! Welcome so much to EC! (*hug*) I know exactly how you feel, since I went thru the same thing with my mum when I came out to her. At first, she seemed fine with it, then 3 days later, she basically let loose with thise whole raised voice, angry verbal assault on me about how she didn't think I was trans & that she just thought I was depressed. What I tried to explain to her was that I was depressed most of my life because I was trans & wasn't accepting of it myself even for a very long time, despite how I knew I felt inside. Things got so bad for me in my house, I eventually just moved out again. But recently, my mum seems to have adjusted to things & I have even talked to her a bit about what & how I've planned to start my transition & what steps I'll be taking just starting out. She seems to have finally accepted it, since I haven't had any pushback from her in the last week or so. So I guess my advice to you is try giving your friend some space to process what you've told him & then, after a bit of time, perhaps give him some info or the web address for the PFLAG website: http://www.pflagcanada.ca/en/index-e.asp I know this is the Canadian site, but there are some good links to transgender info there that may help you to explain to your friend about yourself & how you feel. Since you're down in TN, here's the link for the Nashville chapter: http://pflagnashville.org/ Nevertheless, I agree with Katt. You certainly know who you are, so in the end, whether your friend accepts you for who you are not, you need to be true to yourself & do what's in your best interest. And just know that you're definitely not alone! We have several trans members here on EC, myself included, that certainly know how you feel & what you're going thru, so don't hesitate to ask questions & be honest here on EC! We will all always be here to support you & talk when you need to! (&&&) I'm glad that you found EC, it really has been such an amazing place for me & it has given me the courage to finally start transitioning to become who I've always known I was inside!