1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I do about this one?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by theWorldisYours, Oct 10, 2011.

1. theWorldisYours

So here's a little prologue: I just started being openly gay at my college this year. It's been great! Everyone is so excepting, and I haven't received practically any judgment, from the straight community at least. I met this one guy through my schools lgbt club, and we started fooling around. After a while of this I told him I wanted to be more than friends, and wanted to be exclusive. He agreed, but It's obvious now that something was lost in translation.

When we would hang out together we would hold hands, cuddle, and he would kiss me goodbye. He was even wearing one of my sweatshirts on a regular basis. I don't know if this is normal gay friend behavior, but I saw it as the start of a relationship. I thought things were going well for the most part, but he would never respond to my texts, and was always "too busy to hang out."

It became obvious to me that he did not want to be more than friends with benefits. We talked about it and agreed to be just strictly friends.

Ok, so here is where the problem comes in. ever since we ended things, this kid won't even look at me. He is on my swim club, and he switched lanes so that he wouldn't be in mine. At the lgbt club he moved his seat so that he wouldn't have to sit across from me. The other day i saw him holding hands with a guy that I assumed he had feelings for while we were messing around. I asked him about it when we ended things, and he said they were just friends. So now I'm assuming that the two are together, and I don't care. In fact, I'm happy for the two of them. The problem is that this other guy used to be my friend, and invite me to gatherings, and now he won't talk to me either.

I feel like I'm being excluded from the majority of the gay community here at my school, all because this one hookup is, for whatever reason, uncomfortable being civil with me. To be honest, when we were together I texted him every day, but I wouldn't have if he had just told me he just wanted to be friends. Maybe he doesn't want to talk to me, because in his eyes I was a total clinger when we were fooling around. I don't know what it is, but I just want things to be normal again. I don't care who this kid is dating, I don't care if he hates me, I just want us to be civil, especially since he is in my day to day life.

I want to talk to him just to clear the air, but I'm not sure if that would be beneficial. I don't want it to look like I need him in my life. I just can't stand this awkwardness. What should I do?

2. J Snow

Well, if its just him that's excluding you or even just his new boy friend then I would say just drop it because he sounds like a jerk anyway. If you really feel like your feeling excluded from your LGBT community, then things are a little more serious. Perhaps you could talk to the guy who you used to be your friend and invite you to things and just ask him if the guy has been spreading rumors about you?

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people get really weirded out about their exes, even if they left on good terms. So they do what they can to sort of blot them out completely. And it sort of feels like that's what's going on here. From your side of the story, anyway, it sounds like you did everything right. You stayed open, you let him go when he didn't want to be exclusive (or even fwb), and you're not pressing the issue. It sounds like he simply doesn't want to have anything more to do with you. Don't beat yourself up trying to find out "where you went wrong", because it sounds like you really didn't go wrong anywhere. He just decided "enh, I don't want to deal with him anymore". In which case, screw him - find somebody who deserves your attention, your love, and your sex. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. theWorldisYours

Thanks guys. I've been thinking this over, and if her doesn't want to acknowledge me, that's his loss. My only concern is that it seams like I'm now outside of the loop, as far as his new boyfriend (previously my friend), and the group of other lgbt kids that are associated with this group. They are pretty much the only gay group of friends that hang out together on weekends. I feel like I'm missing out big time. I really don't know what to do about it, because if I talk to the kid I hooked up with it's probably going to make me look desperate. I really don't want to talk to his new bf about this because it's not really an issue for him, and we were never that close of friends.

bottom line: I feel like just because I hooked up with this kid, I'm now being regarded as an expendable asset to the rest of the group. It would be much easier, and much less awkward for them to exclude me as opposed to invite me to small gatherings were my hookup will inevitably be.

In a normal situation, I could just walk away from this no problem. But what it comes down to is that these people are the lgbt people on campus. Idk, I'm just confused and annoyed and wish I could just put this entire thing behind me.