1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Labels are confusing.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by starlightonmars, Oct 10, 2011.

1. starlightonmars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm having trouble finding a label that fits me. I'm not personally a massive fan of labelling people, but when bringing up my sexuality to other people it gets quite confusing. I may not choose to label myself, but I'd like to know what I am.

I'm completely attracted to guys and would date one, have sex with one and marry one, etc. But girls are more confusing. For a while I thought I was only romantically attracted to them, but recently I kissed one at a party (when I was fairly sober) and it felt good, and I was attracted to her. But I couldn't particularly see myself having sex with her, or any girl for that matter. It's more than just a romantic attraction, but not a fully sexual attraction either. Is there a half way point between being biromantic and bisexual?

2. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe the halfway point between biromantic and bisexual is called 'The Halfway point between biromantic and bisexual'. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Joking aside, labels can only ever go so far and are just generalizations for many people; it's perfectly normal to fit into a place that doesn't have term to describe it exactly. So long a YOU are comfortable with who you are and you know what you are then it's all that matters. In terms of labeling yourself then what you said does it quite well. It may be a bit long but it's who you are.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your signature line is rather humorous after your post. :slight_smile:

CH has the right idea. Labels exist not in order to force people into them, but because there exist those who fit them fairly easily. Beethoven is classical, the Rolling Stones are rock...not because the world loves forcing things into boxes, but because they really DO fit those classifications. But other artists resist easy classification. And when they do, people simply don't give them simple classifications - they give them descriptions. "Well, they're kind of rock, but they have a lot of jazzy influences, and you might hear some classical here and there". Yeah, it's more difficult than just "rock", but it's surprising how many people are more interested in those who don't fit that easily into classifications. :slight_smile:

Lex