1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel so wrong

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by piratealisonnn, Oct 11, 2011.

1. I have been raised to be very open-minded and nonjudgmental. I accept all types of people from every walk of life. I know many gay people and have even been in a GSA.

I don't know why though I'm having such a hard time accepting it within myself. There is no doubt to me that I am attracted to the same sex. I accept others like this but can't come to accept myself?

Sorry, just venting.

2. J Snow

I've had a lot of difficult overcoming the way I saw my future change. I always envisioned the normal wedding, the drive back from the hospital with my first child, taking them to my parents, and watching them grow up. Yet instead I had to deal with an a family that didn't want to accept me, and the realization that if I wanted to be with a man I could never have the children I dreamed of with the person I loved.

Its a lot to overcome, you go from feeling like everyone else, to feeling very different. The fact is that you can still live an amazing life and be gay. I think its a much kinder thing to take care of a child that needs it rather then bring another hungry mouth into the world.

I used to associate gay pride with people running down the streets in ass-less chaps waving rainbow flags, but it really is something to be proud of. You have the right to display an entire group of people in a positive light, get married to someone you love (at least in my state), adopt children and give them the love they never had, and change the world around you for the better.

At least that's how I've been trying to look at it =)

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can totally understand, it took me a long time to accept it. I was also raised very openly (but before I knew, I joined a homophobic church...). I think that some of it is the fear that we will have to come out, and the other part is that we have been "conditioned" by society to believe that being LGBT is not normal.

Some media project the image that being LGBT is not normal.They always show the "common family" because more people connect with them. This also means that more people watch their show. It has gotten better in recent years, and this is because our views as a nation are changing. The media projects what is called the "cultural paradigm" into what we watch. The do it on accident, since they were raised in the same culture that we were...

Now that being said I'm not blaming the media... in fact I'm going to work for them someday. I'm just showing you how we have been socialized (taught) to believe that we are wrong. In order for this to occur in the media, it has to be a common view in the public.

What to get out of all this, It will get better. As you get used to the fact that you are not straight, you will see how our culture tries to tell us we are wrong.

Sorry for the rambling about media.... I just got out of intro to mass comm....

4. ukeye

ukeye Guest

I understand totally where your coming from. I had a supportive environment also, but something inside me was non-accepting. I think we just have to remember that we are all different and for some, dealing with same sex attraction is easier. Everyone has their own struggles gay/bi/straight/trans whatever.

I put it down as being pretty normal. But I say that in recognising that there is no 'normal'. Do your best to accept yourself each day at at time.:eusa_clap

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    accepting yourself is a hard thing to do, hence why so man people try to hide who they are.

The things you're feeling are normal, change from the "norm" is scary. But the "norm" is just something created by society, nothing more then that.

being gay isn't any more off the "norm" then someone being born with red hair, when both parents have blond hair.

6. that really puts it in perspective :slight_smile: