1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out of touch...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BenKent, Oct 11, 2011.

1. BenKent

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel that I want (need) to get in touch with my local LGBT community. I know about one other gay guy and I've known him for years so I want to expand. Not only for the possibilities of a relationship but because I feel my friendships are lacking and obviously, diversity in my group of friends can only be a good thing. I'm not out yet but I really want to get involved and meet new people and see what the community has to offer. Please let me know what some good options are to get involved, meet people, and generally get to know my LGBT community better.

Also, any tips on minimizing the impact of coming out to your mom. I feel like it won't be a big deal, but I literally just choke when the moment arrives. Any ideas on how I can make it seem nonchalant? I just can't seem to get it out when the moment comes, but I feel like the more casual it is the better...

Thanks everyone, EC has been nothing but great!

<3

2. Raeil

As far as the LGBT community is concerned, to get to know people you can go to LGBT group meetings, ask your friends to introduce you to their LGBT friends, etc. If you're wanting to stay up to date on what's going on in the community, the meetings, again, are a fantastic source of information, as are EC and several LGBT focused websites.

Here's the thing about Mom's. In general, Mom's tend to be the ones who are focusing on your future romantically. They tend to see you growing up to marry someone, raising children in a house together, etc. etc. If your Mother hasn't been imagining you marrying a man (or at least, hasn't been open to the possibility of you marrying a man), you telling her will obliterate her imaginary future (not that you still can't get married and raise children together, but she won't see that at first). So, for her, it might not be something that is nonchalant, and to treat it as such might not be a good idea.

However, if you're confident your mom won't have some form of major stress from your coming out, attempt to slip it into conversation subtly. As in, "So are you seeing anyone?" "No, though there is this one guy who I think is rather cute. His name is..." etc. Obviously, it's not horribly subtle, but it's more nonchalant then the whole idea of "Mom, I have something to tell you..... I'm gay." You know your mother better than anyone on EC, though, so use your judgement to determine whether to come out nonchalantly or make a slightly bigger deal out of it.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, Ben. What part of OH are you in? I used to live there and know of some LGBT resources in a couple different parts of OH.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are you from the Kent area?? Not trying to creep...I promise.. lol I just happen to be around there too and can help you find some places to meet other LGBT people.

5. BenKent

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, and yes I am in the Kent area haha, it's not really creeping since it's in my name haha. And I have been meeting alot more people recently via LGBT student groups. As for my mom I am going to tell her when I go home for thanksgiving, obviously not on the day of or anything but she had a convo with a friend of mine who she knows is gay and explained to him that she would love him just as much etc. so now I am just waiting for our next face to face to tell her. Thanks everyone

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's awesome!! I'm glad to hear that you are meeting others. I hope that telling your mom goes well!!