1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nervous...going to my first PFLAG meeting tonite...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Katelynn, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Katelynn

OK, so I was actually able to find a support group here in this backwater, redneck town, & I'm going to my first PFLAG meeting tonite, in about a half hour actually. I am just really super nervous & actually a bit afraid that I might not be taen seriously, since I'm transgender but don't really look too feminine. Anyway, I'm really hoping that going tonite will help...

2. RaeofLite

You're going. You're being yourself. That's all that matters. :slight_smile: You've got courage to go. I tried to get my parents to at least talk to some people on email or by phone from PFLAG but I don't think they ever did. They have come around slowly though.

Good luck Kiersten!

LGBTQ means we stand together.

3. Katelynn

Well, I got back about a half hour ago. It doesn't seem like there are any meetings anymore. I went over to where the meeting was listed on the PFLAG website, but the whole place was dark & it was locked up, which pretty much said to me that there was no meeting, even tho it said it was on the 2nd Friday of every month. I'm a bit disappointed now, since there aren't any other support groups in my city. A bit bummed out right now, since the closest meeting is an hour away & I don't have a car. Argh!!!

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Agh, sorry to hear that :/

Have you tried contacting anyone from PFLAG? Maybe it was just an off-night or something.

5. J Snow

I agree with TheEdend. The meeting may have just been canceled. I don't think you should necessary assume they they don't have them altogether. On the topic of you going as trans and not looking that feminine, I went to a "fluidity" meeting at my college for, well I was told it was for transgender and questioning people.

Since Transgendered is a big umbrella term including drag queens, cross dressers, and gender queer, I wasn't expecting to feel that out of place, but there were only two people there that were both transitioning transsexuals, and they seemed kind of confused as to why I came, even though I explained it. Also, the moderator got upset because I used the term "male to female" which she told me "put too much stress on birth gender..."

Like, I understand that what terms are considered "PC" changes all the time, but I think she got overly offended. Like queer makes me more uncomfortable then fag does, but I understand its meaning and it doesn't bother me. My "Queer Studies" teacher doesn't like the term homosexual but he doesn't complain every time someone uses it. I'm getting kind of off topic...

Anyway, both the people at the meeting I went to, were not very convincing women even after having gone through hormones. Not that that's something I'm trying to point out as a bad thing. I just don't think you have to worry about your appearance. If people don't accept you with an open mind, then its probably not the best group...