1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm really scared...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pronua, Oct 14, 2011.

1. pronua

I know this isn't the best place to ask this, but here's my problem. I'm Christian but I always see so many people and websites that say it's a sin and an abomination to be gay...and that God hates homosexuals and homosexuality. I pray every night that I may turn straight with God's help and get rid of these gay thoughts, but it just doesn't work. I want to be accepted by God, and i'm really scared that I'm going to hell. This may be why i'm depressed. Why should I even continue living when I'm just going to hell anyway? I don't wait to live a life like this! What should I do? :icon_sad:

2. Noir

(*hug*) It's okay, don't worry so much. I doubt there's one gay Christian who hasn't worried about this, and you must understand a few key points:
    • Most people have not studied the Bible closely enough to accurately use it to condem homosexuals.
    • People CAN misinterpret some Biblical sayings. It's possible--to error is human.
    • And finally, just as in the US constitution and the like, it is meant to be adapted and evolve according to our new interpretations.

Some psalms that I personally have looked up that have comforted me include:

48 "Then the Jews answered and said to Him, "Do we not say rightly that You are a Samaritan ans have a demon?"
    49 Jesus answered, "I do not have a demon; but I honor My Father, and you dishonor Me.
    50 "And I do not seek My own glory; there is One who seeks and judges.
    51 "Most assuredly, if anyone keeps My word he shall never see death."

There are more, I just can't find them at the moment...sorry! >< But basically, no one can really say for sure that "homosexuality is wrong!" just from some sayings that have been translated (yes, it is possible not everything is said word for word in the versions we all know since thousands of years ago, unless you know dead languages) and rewritten into modern language. It just isn't possible.

But I am Lutheran--a subreligion of Christianity just like Catholic or Presbyterian. Martin Luther had his doubts about what people, not God, said about the Bible. He thought it wasn't right to, say, pay your way into Heaven with money or that it didn't make sense that someone who committed suicide should be kept out of Heaven; and it's thanks to him that the trend caught on that common people should have a copy of the Bible in the common language for drawing their own interpretations instead of going off of a priest's interpretation in the olden tongue.

I believe that one can get into Heaven through faith alone. If you believe in God and what he teaches, you can always get into Heaven no matter how much you have sinned as long as you ask for forgiveness, just like the criminal on the cross beside Jesus who asked to go with him and was accepted. Granted, he was only really a Christian for the last hour or so of his life, but that was all that mattered. ^-^

I still find it hard to believe that He can consider homosexuality as a sin. After all, "sin" is a human concept. It doesn't apply to nonhumans. And yet, there are hundreds of animal species who also partake in homosexuality and have partaken in it for who knows how many centuries and millenia. Just something to consider.

Homosexuality is something like height, the gender you're born with, or natural hair and eye color--you can't really change it. No amount of high heel shoes or sex-change surgeries or hair dye or colored contacts or even praying to become straight will ever really change something you were stuck with the moment you came into this world. You were given all of you for a reason, and I don't see why you should try so hard to change it to get into Heaven.

I'm so sorry if I sounded really preachy (I think I did), but I hope I could make you feel better, even a little!(*hug*)

3. J Snow

Hi, as someone who went to Catholic school for 13 years, I just want you to know there's no reason you should feel that you are going to hell. Jesus never said one word about homosexuality. In fact, he preached a message of accepting everyone.

The passages that preached are really misunderstood. There is a few reasons they wouldn't be valid by today's standards. For one, exclusive homosexuality is a recent social phenomena. In olden times you pretty much had to have children to work and take care of you. So there was no concept of homosexuality, homosexuals, or homosexual relationships. They just knew of the acts from the Greeks, where a young unmarried man traditionally would have sex with an older family man. Thus they developed these rules to separate their culture. Abomination in the Jewish culture actually did not mean it was evil, but against their cultural norms.

In fact, I think being gay is a much better moral decision. We live in an over populated world and instead of bring another hungry mouth in, you can give a child that needs it a loving home. Plus homosexuality is perfectly natural. Its been documented in many species in the animal kingdom.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being gay =) If you don't believe me then give me one valid argument that isn't simply "I read it in a book."

4. Rinamir Mortem

I cannot say for those who know religion or for those who would talk to you about suicidal feelings but I know that there are people who are widely accepting and supportive of you, the minority of people being the opposite.

I also feel that God would more than likely want you to be happy than force you into a life of denial/lies about your sexuality.

I hope you feel more certain about yourself in the future and know that there are people to help you regardless which path you decide to take (*hug*)

5. ukeye

ukeye Guest

I'd like to say that religion, on the whole has a way of destroying the world. In some places it is illegal to be gay (I forget which) but the punishment is hanging/death.

So it is a powerful entity.. it also starts wars, divides nations and communities. I used to be devout catholic in my younger years and went through 13 years of catholic schooling. Now when I look back on these years, I find that sometimes (not always) people who are devout to their religious chapter are power hungry, judgmental and self-righteous.

The bible does speak a lot to sexual immorality, but it also is just a guide in our lives. Taking snippets from different parts of the bible is not how it was intended to be read.. it is something not to be taken literally word for word, but rather credit on the whole book (metaphorically).

Your struggle is one of the most common I've seen here on EC, and one I've personally struggled with. I have found the further I take religious boundaries to heart, the further I am away from accepting myself. I decided a few months ago that I would change my perspective on religion. Sure I believe in something, but I'm also in an open-minded position to say that one christian sect is not all governing.

I am spiritual by nature, and my belief structure is simply this - we all have energy, some good and some bad. It isn't about asking god for anything, but rather having faith in yourself to be good.If I have a bad day, I remind myself that I am not invincible nor a higher power. This helps me all the time. Also, I have faith in the future and that I am on the correct path..

The longer I've practiced this simple, personalised view of faith, the more my life has granted me signs to show me that it is the right way to go. I hope I've helped in some way (*hug*)

6. wingandaprayer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have many of the same questions. But at the same time, think of this passage:

"Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, 'Master, which is the great commandment in the law?' Jesus said unto him, 'Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.'"

Does loving someone of the same sex prevent you from loving God?

Does loving someone of the same sex prevent you from loving your neighbor or harm your neighbor in any way?

I don't see any reason why loving someone of the same sex would keep you from loving God, any more than loving someone of the opposite sex would keep you from loving God. Although St. Paul argued that celibacy was a holier course than marriage because it allowed the Christian to devote him or herself fully to God, he also argued that the love found in marriage was holy just as the love between God and the church was holy.

As to whether same-sex relationships would harm your neighbor, of course there are some homosexual relationships that are unhealthy, just as there are some heterosexual relationships that are unhealthy. But if you truly love someone--whether they're the same gender as you or a different gender--then you're also doing your best not to harm them in any way.

Overall, I would say that fundamentally the teachings of Jesus Christ do not contradict having a committed, same-sex relationship. Of course, every person has to come to terms with this in their own way--I'm still coming to terms with it myself!

But I'd ask you this. In your very heart of hearts, in the law that's written on your heart, do you believe that it's wrong to feel the way you do?

7. jake v

There is only one unforgivable sin, and that is not accepting Jesus as your lord and savior. Next homosexuality is not a sin and never has been, I want you to Google "what the bible does and doesn't say about homosexuality" this was a great starting point for my studies and and new understandings. If you have netflix you have to watch "for the bible tells me so," this movie really hit home for me and helped me come out to my very religious family. Be ready for that movie though, it literally made me cry for a long time because of how relevant it was to me. I have been praying and studying for a long time about this and I cannot find anything truly condemning.

You are going to be fine, and no you are not going to Hell. Give yourself some time to really study and understand the bible and you will see what I am saying. If you want a better bible study just send me a message.

8. J Snow

Well, I for one don't believe people go to hell or not based upon what religion they grew up in. Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, atheist, etc, it doesn't matter. Either you are a good person or you are not. Either way, like I said, being gay can only be beneficial to society thus it cannot make you a worse person.

9. itsjustin

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Im a 14 year old guy and I go to church. When I was little a family member touched me wrong. Ive been confused for a long time. When I was 12 I found out that I could possibly Be gay and I was scared and think im going to hell. My dad use to talk about how faggits can go to hell and I really thank you for posting that. Your really encouraged me :slight_smile:

10. Californiacoast

There is a great book by a guy named Justin Lee, called "Torn" I read it recently and it really helped me understand why going to church was so hard for me as a young gay teen. Justin does a great job of describing his own torn feelings of being gay, but still wanting to be spiritual. You might want to check this book out!

11. GayNerd

God loves everybody. Being Gay is not a Sin. If people tell you that it is, don't believe them. Just be happy and everything will be okay.

12. Mr96shyguy

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey, I know how you feel. I'm a Christian as well, raised to believe that Homosexuality is wrong. I was thinking about the exact same things as you did when I realized that I was gay. I stumbled upon this website tho:

Gay Christian 101 - Affirming God's good news and Bible truth for all GLBTs.

and it really helped me a lot. The website has biblically and historically accurate info that tells us that homosexuality and gay marriage isn't a sin. Turns out that the usual Bible verses that condemn homosexuality, WEREN'T actually talking about homosexuality.

Just remember, we did not choose to be gay, just like straight people don't choose to be straight, we were born that way and God still loves us the way we are

#12 Mr96shyguy, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  13. hardhearts

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've struggled with the same things, I understand how you feel completely. I went through a long period of self-loathing and depression but it prompted me to do a lot of Bible study and really grow in my understanding and acceptance of myself. It's an ongoing process, there are still some days that I find myself hung up on what I believe versus who I am, days when I don't want to be gay. But I'm a happier person because I'm learning to understand that some in the Church have distorted the Word in order to preach hate.

This is one of the best sermons I've ever come across regarding Christianity and homosexuality, it really helped me begin to understand who I am vs what I believe. It's kinda long, but it's worth it. Matthew Vines is fantastic.

The Gay Debate

It's going to be okay. If you want any other resources or reading, let me know. I have quite a bit :slight_smile:

#13 hardhearts, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  14. TacoswithJuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was where you are not too long ago, I believe it really comes to a point where you decide enough's enough, and God could not do that to someone. It is not a sin, God loves you and created you the way you are. I wish you luck on your journey and hope that along the way you realize God's true love for you :slight_smile:

15. Pat

Pat

Hey man. Hits home for me because I, too, come from a very religious background. It was extremely tough to accept myself for that very same reason. One scripture that always came to mind for me is the one about slaving for two masters. You can't possibly live for God and yourself at the same time. I made my decision to walk out on my religion that taught me how to be who I was. All of the core values that I have instilled in me are still there, but for the sake of my livelihood, I had to make the decision to live for myself because otherwise, I would've felt like I was living a lie. I can't imagine where I would be right now if I didn't make the decision. It was making me physically sick to endure those thoughts about not being wanted in the eye of God. The thing that made it easy for me was that there's also a scripture about him examining someone's heart to decide whether or not they deserve everlasting life..I feel like that gave me solace knowing that he would judge me and then he would know how I felt and that it didn't make me a bad person because I was having these feelings. You have to do the same thing man. You have to live for yourself for now and if you've tried that and you want to go back and live in abstinence essentially, then it's more than possible to do that. For me, I just know that I won't be happy that way. And I just feel like one day I'll be vindicated for these feelings because they're a part of me and I didn't decide to have them. If you try to look at it from that perspective, hopefully you can move forward. Don't let other people make you feel inadequate. If you have faith in God, you have faith that he knows you rather not have these feelings and that you're only doing what's essential to live a happy life. If he'll judge me for that, then so be it. I've made peace with that. As should you. If you need anyone to talk to man, definitely message me here or talk to some of the other guys. You'll find that a lot of people deal with what you're going through. Some have gotten past it and some are visibly shaken about it. I think you know that your life is valuable beyond who you prefer sexually.

16. Eleanor Rigby

To believe or not to believe in God is a very personal matter, but everyone can agree on one thing : the concept itself of God implies that God is omniscient and therefor, he God doesn't make mistakes.
    If you believe that God is a Loving God and that he created you, then whatever anyone can tell you, you should be assured that you're exactly the way you were supposed to be.

17. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reminder to all: This is a thread from 2011.

18. Hunted

Why would God make someone who he doesn't love
    God loves all his children no matter what
    I always think of I like this
    Everybody sins
    Everyone sins everyday and if god sent everyone that has ever sinned to hell than no one would be in heaven
    One sin is not going to make you go to hell
    God loves you and wants you to live a true life
    Pretending to be straight isn't a true life
    Hope this helps :slight_smile:

19. Kenny207

Hey, I'm a gay christian, and I can tell you right now that no one has the right to judge you but god.

Also like what others say, the bible can be mis interpreted, after all humans aren't perfect. Trust me when I say , the only people that can say homosexuals are a sin is only god himself and I swear, he would never say something like that.

20. ethereal

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't read all the posts, but I really despise the ones bashing religion. To make sweeping generalizations about religions being close minded is hypocritically close minded in itself.

Anyway, since when are gay feelings a sin? Some religious people, who don't understand homosexuality, make being gay out to be a terrible thing. But as you grow older and study your religion for yourself you get a fresh perspective. I would advise you separate religion from what society tells you--then come to your own conclusions about religion's stance on homosexuality.