1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need advice... I met the most amazing guy ever, but...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sympathystrangr, Oct 15, 2011.

1. sympathystrangr

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am a college upperclassman and I am so confused... I don't even know what is happening right now in my life. I have always thought that I was straight, with a few bi-sexual tendencies. I always have only really liked and had relationships with girls. That is until this year. There is this freshman that the first time a saw him I actually thought wow he is really cute. But I really didn't think anything of it. Then I decided to rush a fraternity and who should be rushing at the same time... you guessed it, none other than the freshman I thought was cute. Anyways we are now pledge brothers and he has quickly become one of my close friends. Only now, I have found myself to really, really like him. In fact I have a huge crush on him, the kind with the daydreaming about him and wishing to see him at every moment. I have felt this way for over a month now. Plus everyday I think he is more and more amazing.

The good new is he is gay. The problem is though that I always thought that I was straight and so does everyone else, including him. I can tell that he doesn't like me as anything more than a friend. I text him often and at times he doesn't respond or just gives really short answers, plus he never starts the conversations. He has made it very clear that he knows that I am straight and that he would never have feelings for me. Which I would normally have appreciated, but not this time. When I am with him everything just feels so right. I feel happy, confident, and not stressed at all (which is not normal for me). I find myself telling him things I have never told anyone else and laughing more than I ever have in my life. I know that he will never really like me, and trust me I have tried everything to get over him, but I can't. Plus I can't just not see him because I am his pledge brother. I really don't know what to do. I know that he does not want to be in a relationship with someone who confused and is just discovering their sexuality because he deserves so much more than that. I know that I need to get over him so I don't ruin our friendship, but its hard to just let him go because he is that amazing.

So I guess does anyone have advice for how to get over him? Or how to find out if he could ever like me as more than a friend? Or just any advice...

2. MusicMan12

I'm definitely not an expert at stuff like this, but I'm in the exact same situation myself at the moment so maybe i can help...

My advice would be to just keep hanging out with him and drop little hints that you like him like that. Ask him to go to a movie with some friends and just make sure you sit next to him. Or you guys can go alone, but that might be a bit obvious. but yeah, relationships don't start immediately, so just keep hanging out with him and keep trying to make things progress. It may take months, but the first step is just to become really good friends! Good luck!!

3. robclem21

How comfortable would you be just being honest with him about this stuff? Would you trust him to keep it between you if he is not interested?

4. sympathystrangr

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I could probably tell him that I might like guys too, but I am not sure that I could tell him flat out that I really like him without completely ruining our friendship. I feel like if he found out about this, it would entirely change our dynamic and he wouldn't want to hang out with me as much. Plus like I said he is in my Fraternity, so if things got awkward we would still have to see each other all of the time.

5. robclem21

If that's the case, than I agree with the comments above. Maybe try to hangout in small groups and work up to some one-on-one time with him and maybe drop some subtle hints and flirt a little bit. I'm a university senior too so I understand how you are feeling, but if you are worried about ruining your friendship then don't do anything drastic. Just play it out slowly and you might have to make some adjustments, but if you like him, you won't be any happier trying to get over it. Good luck :wink:(*hug*)

6. sympathystrangr

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    This might also sound really stupid, but do you have any advice for sending those hints/flirting without being overly obvious, but still clear at the same time?

7. robclem21

nothing sounds stupid so don't worry about that. Everyone is different, but in my opinion its easier to convey subtly with actions than with words... some things I can think of are maybe more eye contact when you are talking to him, maybe a few extended stares, try to increase your physical contact with him without it being in a sexual way, if you are more the verbal type, try to maybe tell him you think he looks cute one day or something like that. It will be a bit more subtle if you kind of say it in a joking tone but still kinda mean it... if that makes any sense?

8. fiddlemiddle

fiddlemiddle Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know how you feel and I am somewhat going through the same thing. Let us know what happens.

9. ukeye

ukeye Guest

Hmm.. If he is gay, I don't see what the problem is personally. Why should your inexperience/insecurities stand in the way of honesty?

I would ask him what its like to be gay and get some further insight into what hes about. Ask him what sorta guys he finds attractive, you could even cheekily ask if he finds you attractive :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. At least that way you know.

Just because he has crossed some bridges you haven't doesn't make you any different - you're both human beings with what sounds like a shared sexual persuasion :slight_smile:.. If I were in your shoes, I'd be forthcoming put it that way. No point going backward in coming forward :thumbsup:

10. ShebbsIsAwesome

I wouldn't say that telling him that you may also like guys would ruin anything between you. I mean honestly, it's not like he's homophobic. He told you he was gay and that didn't ruin anything for you guys. Think of it as coming out, and you're just coming out to him, I don't see how that could ruin things.

11. Mad Man L

I wouldn't hesitate to tell him you think you could be bi/gay. The reason he is saying he will never have feelings for you is because saying 'Oh, I might like you later on' can really creep some straight guys out. Friendship-ending kind of creepy.

As for saying you have feelings for him? Wait a while, get to know him better etc. before you do that. You never know, he may sorta like you, just not wish to express those feelings.

12. Alex19

yes, i have to agree with others on telling him your current situation with your sexuality. in fact, because he can meet you in person and we cant, hed probably be of way better help. as for telling him you like him, wait until after you "come out" to him and only tell him if you feel the time is right. from my perspective, if i had a supposedly straight friend tell me hes questioning his sexuality, id want to help him through it and be there for him; if you do this, im sure hed feel the same

13. sympathystrangr

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for the responses! I agree that I am not going to be any happier trying to get over him. So I have decided that I am going to just focus on being his friend first. We have dinner alone together every Sunday evening (so tonight) and I think I am going to tell him that I am questioning my sexuality. I am really nervous about how to do this, I read up on all the stuff today. I know that he is going to be accepting of me, but I guess I am just nervous to say it out loud. Any advice???

14. MusicMan12

Let us know how it goes! I'm wishing you luck!! :slight_smile:

15. robclem21

(*hug*)GOOD LUCK!!! keep us updated for sure :slight_smile::slight_smile:

16. RedState

Well, a few thoughts:

I wouldn't take his response of "don't worry I know you are straight and could never have feelings for you" as him completely dismissing the possibility of any type of relationship. Many openly gay people, especially in a classically straight atmosphere like a fraternity, say that...I guess to add some sort of comfort level to ensure there are no uncomfortable situations. So I wouldn't let that get in the way of anything.

As far a changing your friendship: yes it certainly will. It could bring you closer together or it could add more distance. Such things are always a gamble, and there is no way to tell if you will have won the poker game until you put all your cards down...but you need the courage to walk up to the table to begin with.

As far as flirtatious hints: Well, there are the classic ones like the brief touch of the arm, the brief eye contact etc. Or you may want to take the approach of simply asking questions when you are alone, like "When did you first know you were gay" "How did you come to terms with it" "How did your family react?" and "how exectly does someone come out?" etc...in other words, ask leading questions that drop hints at your situation. If he is pretty observant, he should pick up on them...and if he does and asks you, be honest with what you are thinking.

I wouldn't come out and say "I'm gay" or whatever...because...really, I don't think you know at this point...from what you have described you are at that cross-roads of bi-ness and gay-ness...which is fine, we all have been there. But you are certainly one of the two.

If all else fails, go out and get drunk with him...that tends to loosen things up a bit.

Good luck.

17. Mad Man L

I can't think of any rational reason why he would hate you.

I'd say just try and move the conversation in that direction (i.e. sexuality, LGBT etc.) and then tell him. He may appear to react negatively at first, but if anything that's more being surprised, not to mention you are (possibly) putting yourself on his 'Available' list.

18. Blkrsn

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    wow! Please tell us how it goes tonight. I know how you feel. I am fighting through a crush with my own best friend. I know exactly where you are coming from, where that person is in your every thought, and you worry about them, and just want to be close to them... the only difference with me, is that my friend is completely straight. She's dated more men then I can count on two hands. So I've decided to fight through it and just be happy with being friends. Your situation, is different because he is gay.

I don't think I 'd be much help, because I'm still in the closet, but I'd love to hear his reaction, because I plan on telling my her that I am gay myself on wednesday, and this will give me a headsup on her reaction.

Good luck!

19. Noir

I don't think it's "impossible" for him to never see you as more than a friend. He probably set a mental boundary for himself thinking that you're straight and isn't willing to cross it--I know I do that. If a girl is straight and I know it, then I don't even consider her as an option for me. Unless something suddenly changes, I don't cross that line I've set up for myself.

But I think that if you start giving hints or even just tell him "Hey, I think I might be bi...." then that would greatly improve your chances. I don't think it's fair to yourself to give up before you've even given yourself a chance. Good luck, and as everyone has said, let us know! ^-^

20. sympathystrangr

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Well everything did not go according to the plan I had in my mind for tonight. =( I didn't even get 2 minutes alone with him. As soon as we sat down for dinner another guy from our fraternity came up and asked to sit with us. I of course really wanted to say no, but alas didn't want to be extraordinarily rude so I said yeah of course. Anyways no time to even throw out verbal hints because the entire conversation revolved around the other we were sitting with. Oh well. We did have a quick maybe 1 minute walk over to our fraternity house with him. So I was sure to "by accident" brush up against him, to which he immediately took a step away. But again he still thinks I am off limits. But I did catch him looking at me from all the way across the cafeteria. Anyways, not a failure of a night, but also not a success. I am going to try to set a solo study date with him some time this week though, so wish me luck!