1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to turn someone down without telling them you're gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by FloatingPiano, Oct 16, 2011.

1. FloatingPiano

Hello, friends!

So, I've been tipped off by a few of my friends that this guy I hang out with at school is gonna try and ask me out this week. I think he's a real good guy and all, but the fact is I'm a lesbian and just not into him that way.

Now, I have only been friends with this guy for a couple of weeks, and even though we are pretty close, I just don't feel like I'm ready to tell him that I'm gay, because I don't really know how he stands on homosexuality yet. I think he'd be fine with it, but still. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Anyway, I was just wondering if you guys had any advice on how to politely turn him down without me telling him I'm gay.

Any advice is appreciated. :slight_smile:

2. Sethrowe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmm this one is tough... Personally even though I'm gay I would suggest taking an indirect method. Tell one of his friends you don't like him. Another way, which i do, is tell him your already talking to someone so he will completely take himself out of the equation. (Won't think he's not attractive enough, cool enough, stuff like that). Method two works with girls... Not sure about guys but that if what I would like to hear

3. Raeil

There's always the simple "Sorry, I'm flattered, but you're not quite my type," or the easy to use (and could be truthful, in this case) "Sorry, but I just don't think we have enough in common to go out with each other." Honestly, even though you two are friends, he doesn't really have a right to ask you for anything past that, and if he tries, just tell him you'd rather not discuss it (pull the few weeks card if you need to). Just be polite, but firm, and you should be fine. (Don't lead him on, though. That could bring trouble later.)

4. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Baby.. your hot.. but we can't mingle

Or

Sorry.. but I don't want to date at the moment, seriously.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "I'm sorry, but I'm just not interested in you in anything beyond the friend level."

Lex

6. robclem21

This thread is prophetic. I read it yesterday and today this girl asked me out!!! I felt so bad saying no to her because I know she has been going through a tough time, but she does not know I'm gay (obviously). I told her I had too much school work right now, but I feel that just delayed her asking again in a few weeks. I will at least have some time to think this through and decide if I want to tell her or not.

7. coquelicot

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd just tell him what you wrote above. "I'm sorry. You're a good guy, but I'm just not into you that way." He can't argue with that. If there's no attraction, then there's no attraction. Who knows why some people have chemistry and others don't? You don't have to say it's because you're a lesbian. If a girl that you didn't find attractive asked you out, what would you say? Probably something similar, right? "I'm just not interested in you that way."

8. FloatingPiano

Hey guys! Thanks for all your wonderful advice. :grin:

The guy asked me out today, and I just used the simple "You're a nice guy, but I'm just interested in being friends." :slight_smile: He took that fine and left it at that. :slight_smile:

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good to hear. :slight_smile:

Lex