1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my Aunt

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lovelost, Oct 16, 2011.

1. lovelost

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Okay so I just moved to a new city within the past month and I met a woman a year older than me. We've been dating since I got here. I live with my aunt and I'm a college grad. So my aunt thinks I'm dating a guy. I've been out since I was 21,so 4 years. Only my cousin knows as far as family is concerned, that I'm gay. I only told him because he asked. However I'm getting tired of having to go see my "gf" and I want her to come over. We live 45 minutes away. So I really just want to get it over with and tell her I'm seeing a woman. Suggestions please

2. Gallatin

Okay, well do you have any idea of how your aunt would react to the news that you're a lesbian? Do you know what she thinks about gay people/gay rights issues? Without knowing the answers to those questions, it's difficult for me to suggest anything.

I would say that first and foremost, you need to think about your own safety and security. You say you're living with your aunt; if she didn't take you coming out to her well, there could be a chance that she would kick you out. Would you have anywhere to go if she did force you to leave? Can you support yourself financially? If not, it might be wise to keep this under wraps a bit, at least for the time being.

3. lovelost

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I know previously my aunt and uncle have said gay men make them feel uncomfortable. But they never mentioned anything about lesbians. I'll be living here until at least January. But at 25I years old it's hard to keep this in. However my gay male friend helped me move her and they were pretty nice to him. It didn't seem awkward at all.