1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post break up..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by middlebeast, Oct 17, 2011.

1. middlebeast

Hi Everyone,
    My 2 year relationship just ended unfortunately and my bf moved out just few days ago.
    During this time I surround myself with a close friend or two who actually make this situation little easier on me. One day, my bff and I met and then another friend of his joined by total accident. We talked a little bit about general things, nothing personal or bf related. That guy and I took the subway together but we left to different places. Anyway, he gave me his phone number and said keep in touch. I didn't give him mine, but called him few days after to say hi.
    This man, who is 16 years older than me, has a crush on me. I was very direct and clear about how I have been feeling. The thing is, I would like to keep in touch with him as a friend, because he seemed well educated, well travelled and a nice guy overall.
    He is persistant and little pushy however. He kept saying that he understands that I am going through a rough time now but he is a patient man and that he will wait for me! WWWHAAT? I told him " I didn't promise you anything, why are you waiting for me?"

He changed his answer direction a little by saying that he wants to be my best friend. We kept in touch through facebook and met couple of times for dinner and to attend a seminar for journalist.

I just feel no matter how much I say I am not ready for anything on an emotional level, he keeps pushing.

Any advice?

Thanks,

2. Eleanor Rigby

I don't know how other people will feel about this, but his behavior does raise a red flag for me :confused:
    I think you should make it clear again that nothing is going to happen with him : neither now, nor later. And if he still doesn't get it, cut off all contacts.
    That may sound a bit drastic but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Take care, Cécile

3. Yuya

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He sounds a little desperate to me and I meet guys like this on online dating sites all the time. They're all over you, pressuring you and declaring their undying love within the first two or three days. These kinda guys usually have one thing in their mind unfortunately. Not saying that he is but he sounds like he wants something from you.

For me I don't really like guys who appear desperate because they seem flaky and unlikely to stay around for long. And for me I like a man who is wise with his words. Someone who professes their love so early on is a dealbreaker.

My advise, be direct. Straight to the point about your feelings. And you don't have to be kind just polite. I once did a "Hey I don't like you to call me Darling because I'm not your Darling" to a guy who was all over me and he did snap out of it and apologise.