1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teeny bit devastated..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Katt, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Katt

I'm a texan[: No.. we don't ride horses to school.
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've never really been one to take critisism well. I guess that's one of my flaws. Today when I got and read the reply to my full membership request, I was really surprised and quite dissapointed at the results. Not to say they aren't correct in thier decision. I get it, it's fine. But things like my font.. and my signature.. I guess I never really thought it was a problem. Just a way of setting me aside. I never meant to sound high and mighty about anything. Giving thoughtful, encouraging advice is something I love doing. I thought I was helping people, and reading the PM I got today, I feel kinda foolish for thinking that.

Anyway, I'm thinking of leaving.. the site that is. I don't see what the point of me being here is if I'm not helping anyone. I'd rather just not cause problems than try to fix them and end up making more.. makes more sense to me.

Feel free to share your thoughts..

#1 Katt, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  2. StarofMiyu

But I like how you're always giving people help and stuff, your such a positive person and some people just need that...I honestly don't see how your colorings are a problem either, they make you stick out a little imo which I honestly don't believe is a bad thing.

3. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Yeah, I don't understand this either. I've seen you contribute really good advice on a bunch of different threads so I definitely disagree with whoever it was that shot you down, and I don't quite grasp how the signature and the font text/color is an issue either. I thought EC was supposed to be an accepting place for everyone?

4. Gallatin

I think you're being a bit harsh on yourself. How do you know you didn't help somebody with something you said? At the least, your posts were positive and kind, and showed compassion.

Obviously, the decision to leave is totally your call. But don't do anything too hasty; don't act on your emotions right now. Give it a few days; sleep on it a bit. You don't want to do something you might regret later on.

5. Katelynn

I'm a little confused by this as well. I've seen you give some pretty nice advice & sometimes even just reading what you have written for someone else has helped me a bit too. As for font, that's a mystery to me as to why that would be an issue. I do hope you won't leave EC tho, since I think that you do contribute to our little community here & I hate to see you leave...

(*hug*)

Besides, just because you aren't a full member yet, it doesn't mean that you don't help folks here & it doesn't mean that you're not a part of our special place on the web! I hope you do decide to stay! :slight_smile:

6. Hot Pink

I also think that you're being a little hasty. Rejection sucks, but allow yourself some time to get over it. I never really heard of someone being rejected for full membership before. This is definitely odd.

7. Sharkattack2222

Don't leave. For all the reasons everyone else has said. I have seen you contribute alot of times on this site helping people out

8. Noir

You haven't talked to me personally I don't think, but I've read a lot of your advice and it's helped me a lot, too! Please don't leave, lovely! ><

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sent you a PM :slight_smile:

10. Sethrowe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I like your posts!

11. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just as a quick clarification on the member approval process:

I do feel it's important to stress that not being approved for full membership is not in any way "getting shot down". Or at least, it's not intended to be (I can understand a huge disappointment when it happens, though)

If we feel that someone is disruptive or harmful or in anyway a risk to the site, we don't wait until they submit a full member application to tell them so. So not having been contacted is already a sign that you were oing OK as a member.
    Neither do we approve or reject nilly-willy. Sometimes approving is easy enough, but rejecting an approval is done only after a lot of discussion in which everyone is asked to weigh in.

On occasion, it just so happens that we have some reasons why we decide it might be best for the member in question to wait another few weeks. In that case, we try to outline the issues we potentially see, and tell the member when we're open to a new application. And we're obviously open for communication all throughout.

Yes, the above is vague. I normally like to list specific examples, but any I could give would end up breaking confidentiality. I can only ask you to take my word for it.

Again though, if we decline an application, it's not to be taken as a hard "no". It doesn't mean we don't like the member in question (and we're certainly never happy about declining people). Just a: "we have the following doubts, so we're not quite comfortable yet. Please give us some time to know you better!"

12. Ben

Ben

We really don't want anyone to feel down about getting rejected. Despite what everyone might think, there are a large number of applications that are turned down for all sorts of reasons, and there is a lot of time spent trying to ensure that we're making the right decision. We know it's tough and we do our best, so if people disagree with how their application turns out, then do feel free to converse with us in Ask the Staff or via PM about the decision.

Sorry you're feeling down, Katt, here's a hug: (*hug*) : )

13. Vesper

Katt, don't feel that you are of no use on the forums just because you were denied a full membership request. Membership status has (or should have) no bearing on how important your participation is. Please stay.