1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bible verses

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nintenfreak92, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Does anybody know of any good bible verses i can tell my friend as a comeback. she always says that the bible tells that being gay is a sin, i need something to tell her so that she can realize what she is saying is actually making look like a hypocrite.

2. InaRut

I really don't like the words of the bible to be used to spite someone.
    Not it's real purpose you know?

3. boyequal

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Agreed, the Bible wasn't written to be used for comebacks, although it's often used as such. However, here are a couple of Bible and gay related sources (I hope it's fine for me to post these links):

The Bible, Christianity, & Homosexuality - A Bible study that covers every verse used to condemn homosexuality and explains how it is and perhaps should be interpreted.

The Blue Book: We wish we had known - A resource by the Presbyterian Church of Mount Kisco. Covers parts of the bible, but also interesting things you could share with this friend.

And a good "comeback" (for the lack of a better word), could be to tell her that all of the teachings of Jesus were centred around LOVE and ACCEPTANCE.

Good luck with this friend.

4. Bryan90

Ask her to read the book of Samuels part 1. There is a/are a few chapter(s) depicting the "love" between David and Jonathan. The Christians claim that it's brotherly love... but yeah. It's actually quite a romantic story.

5. urbansamurai

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    you can tell her that since she is probably wearing clothes made from two differnent fibers she is probably just as much of a sinner as you are.

6. thank you all i realized that i will just have to tell her that the bible also says that christians should love one another and not judge each other and that is gods job.

7. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

Tell her to try this one on for size, and then ask her if, since some people still seem to view homosexuality as an "abomination" due to the words of leviticus, she would also venture to reinstate the cutting off of women's hands for defending their husbands.

"If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity" Deuteronomy 25:11-12

#7 Kovax14, Dec 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2007
  8. Hollywood

Exactly kovax14. I was a christian for 15 years of my life before I turned my back on all of that garbage. Everyday and everytime I went to church I would see and hear so many contradictions, especially in the Christian text.

In the old testament (I don't remember where...I'm pretty much as far away from a christian as you can get now haha) it says something about getting tattos being awful and bad. The argument by todays religious leaders is that you cannot take that out of context because tattos were harmful to get back then.

Why, then, is it a matter of taking something out of context from the old testameent when it discusses body art but suddenly the old testament discussion of love between two men is applicapable to the 21st century?

9. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

Despite my misgivings for certain passages within the Bible, I am still actually a very devoted christian. I am a minister of communion almost every sunday, serving wine to the other parishioners. I belong to the episcopal church so I guess it is more liberal in general, and in my 17 years here i have never heard a single remark against homosexuals. Our current rector has even said that he would absolutely marry gay couples in the event that there was a change of law in CT from civil unions to full-on marriage. What I like about my church is that it really focuses on the central christian ideals by which I live my life, without dwelling on some of the archaic minutia in the Bible.

Churches that perpetuate this idea of homosexuality being an "abomination" really conflict with their own ideas of loving thy neighbor as thyself. So above all I would try to bring that to the attention of your friend; show her that by disapproving of you she is ignoring many of the church's essential values.

10. schoolboy91

schoolboy91 Guest

definatly try to explain that the whole new testimate is about gods grace. That's why the bible has a new testimate. Its the new covanent that states that NO MATTER WHAT god still loves us! That's the beauty of hi grace. Weall make mistakes...and to me being gay isn't a mistake. I hate when people tell gays they're going to hell because the pepo saying that sin every day so they have no right to judge at all.

11. Bryan90

Christianity is not that bad I guess.. Well yes it does have absurd bible phrases. Yes, it does have SOME hypocritical believers. But all in all, it still does extol love and acceptance.

Well, frankly, I sometimes do get offended by those who are too judgmental and opinionated. I guess that's all the more reason why I should not stoop to their level by condemning Christianity and all.