1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out to my mother?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by King Gandora, Oct 19, 2011.

1. King Gandora

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok, so I am wanting to come out to my mom this week/weekend, and I think I have an okish plan. I first was dropping subtle hints of being gay such as leaving my notebook of LGBT related drawings open where she can see it, wearing my rainbow bracelets more often, and giving her that look that says "I have something to say and we need to talk about it." Then I was going to e-mail her prior and tell her I need to have a conversation with her, as we do this in our family whenever we need to talk to someone without the other family members around.

Once we are alone, I was going to, well, come out! I am going to tell her that I am healthy, happy, and just let her know that everything is fine and I am fine and happy with being gay. I was then going to ask her if she had any questions, and just let it sink in. I was also going to have printed off pages of the parent information off of here and some other coming out websites. For extra back-up, I also have Prayer's For Bobby recorded on our DVR for her to watch if she goes on any religious rant, but even then I am going to ask her to watch it. So, do you guys like my plan? And do you have any suggestions for me? :icon_bigg

2. Gallatin

I think it sounds like a good plan! Good luck. Keep us posted on how it goes!

3. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your plan does sound pretty good. I think it'll work out like you have it. Best of luck coming out to your mom and definitely let us know how it goes. :slight_smile:

4. KaotikPrincess

I think your plan sounds flawless. I am sure that those hints you gave were not unnoticed and I am sure your mother may be prepared for whats to come. The best of luck to you!

5. Hidinginalabama

I think your plane is great. It sounds like you have thought about this for some time and every thing will go great.

6. firemaker13

That's a really good plan.:eusa_danc Hats off to you.

7. King Gandora

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I... I couldn't do it. I had like 30 chances where it was just me and her and I could have told her, but that stupid voice in the back of my head told me not to everytime for some odd reason, whether it be "she's in a bad mood" to "she is reading, better not interrupt her." And everytime I believed it. :eusa_doh:

Plus she never asked about the email because I just found out I sent it to her old address, the one she doesn't remember the password to. I just feel ashamed for my lack of courage. :icon_sad:

8. seeksanctuary

You got nervous. It's okay... it happens. You'll have other chances, and eventually the time will be right and you'll come out to her. Just take a few breaths and wait until you're ready. :]

9. Gallatin

Try not to beat yourself up over it. There were times where I was in a good position to come out, but I couldn't bring myself to say it. It happens to the best of us!

Don't feel ashamed. It's not easy to come out, especially to parents. You'll be able to do it when the time is right and when you're truly ready.

10. firemaker13

Don't beat itself up. You will find another time, another place.