1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If I love girls, I'm a lesbian right?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jenn288, Oct 19, 2011.

1. jenn288

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi,

So this is probably going to seem like a really obvious question, but I'm trying to be certain of my sexuality before I take the leap and start coming out. I'm pretty sure I'm a lesbian, but I don't know how to know for sure. My question is: if I've been in love with a girl does that mean I'm a lesbian? I know that seems really obvious, but I'm honestly unsure of the answer. Is it possible for straight people to fall in love with the same gender? Because I would assume the answer is no and therefore voila I'm gay! I just want to make sure. And wow reading this over I come across really stupid, but I'm going to post this anyway...

2. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's possible for straight people to love someone of the same gender as a friend or family or whatever, but once you start loving them in a romantic way I think it's saying that you're leaning at least toward bisexuality if not homosexuality. How many girls have you loved before? Do you find yourself attracted to guys? Girls? Both? I think these kinds of questions and self reflection will help you with this. :slight_smile:

3. KaotikPrincess

I don't think who you love has anything to do with anything. If you find guys sexually attractive you are definitely not lesbian, if you find yourself not giving guys a second look and can't seem to think of them as anything more than a friend the chances you are lesbian are high.

4. Eleanor Rigby

Your profile says you're 25 year old. If at your age you've only been attracted to girls, I think it's not too risky to say you're a lesbian.
    If you also have been at some point attracted to men, maybe you're bi but leaning more to women than to men.
    If you've been mainly attracted to men all your life but recently fall for one specific girl, that would be another question, but I doubt you'd have ask things this way in that case.

In any case, labels don't matter much : just follow your heart :slight_smile:

5. Sharkattack2222

My ex claims to be straight. Anything is possible hehe (I need a new bf so I have more to talk about<3)

6. J Snow

Well there are really at least three levels to the question of who you want to spend your life with. Emotional attraction, physical attraction, and sexual attraction. Emotional attraction (love) is kind of separate from the other two forms I listed. You can be attracted to the same gender, while you kind of have a problem with developing emotions for individuals of that gender. There is nothing wrong with any of this, sexuality is simply much more complicated then people give it justice.

A rule I've heard is that if you have two of the three aspect, (which the referred to a bit more crudely as your dick, your heart, and your brain) then you should run with it. I for one feel like on a face value I'm kind of initially more "attracted" to women. That doesn't mean I really get sexually aroused, but I admire their beauty easily. However I'm really not interested in being in a sexual or emotional relationship wish one, so I identify as gay.

Of course this doesn't mean ever category of should be looked at with an "a or b" mentality. In fact every aspect of human sexuality is based upon a spectrum, and as much as most people don't want to admit it, we are virtually all bi to some degree or another.

In other words, the labels we have are way too overly simplistic anyway, so if you choose to use one then I say just use whatever one feels most comfortable to you =)

7. Vesper

Not necessarily, since you didn't mention whether or not you've been in love with guys. If you've ONLY been in love with girls in the romantic, emotional, and/or physical ways, I'd say there's a good chance you are a lesbian.

I know that feeling of wanting to find the right label, but as many people have already said, sexual orientation is incredibly complicated and can't be neatly placed into black and white categories.

8. SammieG16

you are you, do you really need a label?

9. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'm a man who considers himself exclusively homosexual, and I've fallen in love with a girl before. It came as a surprise, and it was rather awkward afterward, but it happened. I still consider myself exclusively homosexual because I was never sexually attracted to her, just romantically. She, there's this things called romantic orientation. It's like our sexual orientation, but while our sexual orientation denotes who arouses us and whom we'll enjoy sex with, our romantic orientation denotes whom we can fall in love with. Most people don't give the separation of the two much thought because most people never have an experience that would lead them to suspect that the two might be different. So, for most people, the two are effectively the same. However, if someone is, say, a straight woman but also biromantic, she could conceivably fall in love with a woman but be unable to pursue sexual relations with her.

However, all that is just to say that it is possible to fall in love with someone of the same sex without being homosexual or bisexual. While it's possible, I would also consider it a bit unlikely. The question you really need to ask yourself is, what does your sexuality mean to you? If you call yourself a lesbian, will you think of it in terms of "I fall in love with women" or "I have sex with women"? Answering that question will guide your self-searching, and if you answer it with the latter, then whom you have fallen in love with is only a hint at which way you might swing.