1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT on campus advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by thevedman, Oct 20, 2011.

1. thevedman

Hey everyone, I was wondering about going to the LGBT group at my university. I just wanted some advice on stuff first though, I'm a researcher at the uni now and that technically makes me staff here, in that I have the odd bit of teaching responsibility and admin duties... I was just wondering if you think it puts me in a weird position if one of my students happened to be there, particularly since I'm out to some people, but not everyone...? I think it would be really nice to meet some other gay folks here, trouble is everyone assumes I'm straight and I find it difficult to just say 'actually I'm gay', so it would be nice to have some mates who just know. Anyway...

One of the lecturers in another dept which I used to be in is gay and really nice and I had thought about approaching her to ask her about it, but I don't know her that well and wasn't sure if that might seem a bit weird... any thoughts?

2. Jim1454

I don't think it would be weird to go to the LGBT group, and I don't think it would be weird to approach your past lecturer either. I had someone at work approach me to talk about this issue (in confidence) and I was flattered. I'm sure she'd be more than happy to talk to you.

3. thevedman

Cheers man, I think I might speak to her about it. Thanks for your response :slight_smile:

4. thevedman

OK I just an email to the LGBT group and... now I'm kind of freaking out! I mean I really want to start meeting other LGBT people, but this really scares the crap out of me that I've actually sent an email and got the ball rolling! How have other people got on at LGBT things on campus? I feel incredibly nervous all of a sudden! Would be good to hear some positive stories!!

---------- Post added 25th Oct 2011 at 05:10 PM ----------

Meeting organised... nerves all over the place!

5. Gallatin

You sound very much like me before I went to my first LGBT club meeting at my university. I was freaking out! I couldn't even eat the day of the meeting because my nerves were so bad. Guess what? I got on just fine! We have a tendency to envision things being a lot scarier and daunting than they actually are. So, try to just relax. Think of it as just another old club meeting, not the first LGBT club meeting. You'll be fine! And afterwards, you'll be proud of yourself for having went. :slight_smile:

6. missyjustice

missyjustice Guest

I was really nervous before going to my uni's LGBT club. I went to my first meeting back in September and it went so much better than I expected. Everyone was really welcoming and it just felt really awesome to be in a place where I could openly express my queer identity without judgement. And from what I hear that's pretty much how most of these college LGBT groups are. The vast majority of LGBT people know what it feels like to be nervous about coming out and being out in the community so people aren't going to judge you for that and it's not weird at all that you're technically staff.

7. thevedman

Thanks guys, big step for me! I'll keep you all posted!

8. thevedman

Met someone from the group before meeting the whole group and turns out I wouldn't be the only PhD student there. Looks like this could actually be really good.

9. Gallatin

Great news. Keep up that positive outlook!

10. thevedman

Went to the first LGBT support group today and it was great! Felt really good about myself and met some really nice people, in fact I feel better about myself than I've felt in years :grin: Celebrating with a blueberry muffin and planning to join the gym and get fit. Good times, hope all of you are awesome :grin:

11. Jim1454

*Wishes he was having a blueberry muffin too right now!*

That's awesome to hear. I'm not sure there is a more accepting environment than a university campus. So take advantage of that while you're there.

12. insidehappy

insidehappy Guest

sounds like you want to go to make friends but not to date. so if that's the situation, then just stick with that. if you dont want to date any gay students on campus, then dont. the fact that students are there really means nothing. they may know that you are gay but they are gay too. if you get involved in teh group and others (non gay ) find out about it, its really not a big deal because i really think that colleges and unversities are the only professional environments (minus entertainment) where people are openly and outwardly gay and it's not a big deal and its' very much accepted.