1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't know what to say...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Azza, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Azza

Right I get the impression from my mum that she thinks I'm shacking up with my best friend, which I'm not. I'm not attracted to him at all and if anything he's like a brother. Now tonight were all going to some friends Birthday meal and he asked me to stay over at his. Not being able to come up with a compelling reason as to why I wouldn't (I'm not out to him) I agreed.

Now I told my mum I was staying at his and she was desperately trying to get me to come home after the Birthday thing and I just said "No, I'm sleeping at his". Then she got all weird with me. I think that she thinks were going to be having sex and stuff and I want to tell her nothing is going on but if say that without her bringing it up (which she probably never will as they don't like talking about me being gay) will she be even more convinced I am? :bang:

I also feel kind of guilty sleeping over at his house without him knowing I am gay and I can't really tell him until this trip to America I'm going to with school or else the whole room situation could be really awkward. :icon_sad:

Any idea what I can do to show my mum me and my best friend aren't together?

2. EM68

I would just print out what you posted and show her. If you don't want to just tell her what you told us.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For some reason, my parents thought my best friend in high school was gay and putting the moves on me. And every time I went over to his house, they thought I was walking into the lion's den. Ends up I was the gay one, my friend was straight, and we spent most of our time together listening to records, playing miniature golf, and designing video games. (Oh, the horror.) You might tell your mother what I told mine. "Nothing is going to happen that you don't want to hear about." :slight_smile:

Lex

4. Gallatin

A few weekends ago, my mom thought very much the same thing. I spent the weekend at my best friend's apartment, helping him throw a big party and such. She's known my best friend for several years, and she knows he's very, very straight. But she couldn't help but say a number of little comments, such as "I don't think ____ is like that" and "Why are you staying there, is it because you like him like that" and so on and so forth. After putting up with it for a little while, I finally said something like this: "Listen mom, first off, ____ is not gay. Second of all, even if he was, I wouldn't want to do anything with him. He's like my brother - you don't have sex with your brother! And please, you act as if I want to go do every guy in the world. Did you?"