1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on Internet dating if you're still confused about your orientation

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SFSorrow, Oct 23, 2011.

1. SFSorrow

Hi everybody, I'm new on here as a poster and before anything else I just wanted to say I've been reading around on this site for a bit, it really has helped me feel more comfortable with myself as I've finally read about other people going through similar things. This forum really is a great resource, it should be better known IMHO. I wish I'd discovered it sooner. Any advice anybody can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, as a brief bit of background, I always thought I was straight until my early 20s despite the odd doubt or out of place thought, but have never had any kind relationship of any kind with anyone. Gradually I realised that, although I still noticed attractive girls rather than guys and fancied them, my fantasies became more and more about guys to the point where it's all I think about, not women. I still notice girls more and it's much more 'instinctive' than when I notice guys and when I meet people I'm still drawn to girls, even though I don't really have sexual thoughts for them. In my (limited) sexual experiences I have finally had over the last year (6 occasions, once with a guy) I still enjoyed sleeping with a woman but it's still guys I think of. When I think about what I want I think that I want a boyfriend, it seems like a deeper desire on some fundamental level.

As it was something that's consumed pretty much my every waking moment for the last few years it finally got too much, and over the past year I've been slowly coming out to my friends and family as I couldn't live with the confusion any more and had to do something or I was never going to improve. On the whole I'm a lot better than I was a year ago, and everybody's totally OK and supportive about it, I still have my ups and downs about how I feel about it though. At the moment I just go with 'not straight' if anybody asks but TBH I'm still really confused about it all and what I really want is to just be comfortable with whatever I am, and probably the only way is to try to get out there and meet people and see what happens.

The point of all this is that, as I never really meet people I like in day-to-day life and don't go to gay clubs very often as they're not really my thing (and on the rare occasions I have been have never met anyone) I'm trying internet dating. One concern I have is that I don't know what 'properly' gay people will make of how my mind works. I worry they might not want someone who is still figuring it all out and might think of me as weird or not ready for a relationship. Also, I'm not sure when to bring it up and mention it to them, if at all. Should I put it on my profile, mention it if anyone messages me or wait until we meet up or if anything starts to happen between us? Perhaps I'm being paranoid but I don't know and haven't really got anyone to ask except you lot as my friends don't really have any experience in this kind of thing. One friend said I shouldn't be trying to have a relationship at all until I'm sure as I might hurt the other person and should just try arranging to meet people for sex to sort it out, but I don't really want to do the anonymous hook up thing. Nobody else I know agrees with him, but still, that's his opinion.

Hm, that's a lot longer than I planned. If anybody's read this far then hopefully someone can be of some help, as I said, any advice is most welcome.

#1 SFSorrow, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. Ianthe

You seem pretty sure that you're "not straight." That is, you don't really seem to have any doubts about being attracted to men. You described definite sexual and romantic interest in men. You fantasize about them sexually, and you want a relationship with one.

Rather, your doubts are about whether you are attracted to women. You sometimes think you might be, but you are not sure.

Whether or not you could ever be attracted to a woman, it would certainly be fine for you to date men. I mean, it is arguably nice to know that you are attracted to the specific person you are dating, but there is no reason that confusion about women should stop you from dating men that you know you are interested in.

I don't really know anything about internet dating personally. Some guys have complained that it seems like everyone is just looking to hook up. If you are really looking just for a relationship, and not for hook ups, you might want to make that really clear on your profile.

If you want to, you could probably list yourself as a Kinsey 5 or something somewhere on your profile, which would give the impression that you have some minor or infrequent attractions to women.

Beyond that, you can mention in messages you exchange with guys, that you are still pretty newly out. That will be enough, I think, to prepare them for confusion.

But you don't seem confused to me so much as that you are still clinging to the idea of dating women even though there isn't any real evidence that you want to. That is, some part of you doesn't want to be gay, even though really, you know that you are. Most of us go through that.

(Some people are bisexual, but your post did not seem congruent to me with the way bisexuals describe their sexuality.)

3. Jim1454

I have to agree with Ianthe. I'm not sure why you're still sitting on the fence on this. You've explained that you're really more interested in men than women. You'd prefer a boyfriend than a girlfriend. You're sexually attracted to men, not women.

It would seem to me that you're still not totally OK with being gay. And that's OK. It takse most of us a LONG time to really get comfortable with it. Not because there's anything wrong with being gay, but because we're conditioned by society to think that we should be straight.

So I think you need to decide, before trying the internet dating scene, where you're really at. Are you still 'not sure' or are you really just 'new and a little anxious'? If you're still not sure, then I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish in dating. You'll want to figure that out. If you're new and anxious, let people know that. We've all been there, and it's better to be up front and honest than to pretend we're ready for something that we're not.

I would agree that 'some' internet 'dating' sites are really just hook up sites. You need to be very particular about where you post, and what you post. If you want to take things slow and meet for coffee, then say so. And look for the other guys who are interested in the same thing.

4. SFSorrow

Thanks for the thoughts, gave me a lot to ponder.

I think there might be some truth to the suggestion that on some level I don't want to be gay, but I also think I'd be perfectly happy to call myself gay if it wasn't for the fact that visually it's overwhelmingly girls I'm attracted to, and in my whole life I've only ever had crushes on girls (the last time just over a year ago). Although I do find some guys attractive it often feels more forced whereas I immediately notice attractive woman. It almost feels like there's two distinct parts of my brain that don't properly cohere in their desires, with the majority telling me that I'm gay, apart from the fairly important bit of who I see and meet that I tend to actually find attractive.

Having said that I do sometimes meet guys who I think that if they were gay I'd be interested in, so maybe I should just give it more time. But I don't really know how to progress in this apart from getting out there and trying to meet people.

5. Yuya

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I've done a fair bit of online dating. To me online dating allows us to kinda get a feel of the person before we decide to meet them giving us a safe bubble, a place to get to know other gay people without public pressure. You also get to meet people online who are 100% gay as oppose to going out and guessing if that guy you fancy is gay or not.

The down side, like what the others say is that a large portion of men from dating sites are looking for hook ups so if you want a great conversation or something alot more than sex, be very clear in your profile and don't be afraid to turn someone down if you don't feel comfortable talking to them.

Btw all my ex and current boyfriends I met through the internet. I find that that opens the door to many opportunities outside of who I would normally meet. Good luck!

6. missyjustice

missyjustice Guest

I'm glad that you have found a place where you feel safe to discuss your sexuality :slight_smile: That's awesome and so is you embarking on this journey to authenticity and free sexual expression.

There is no such thing as "proper gay". All of us are in different places mentally and you'd be surprised at how many people have been out for years and are still "confused" about their sexuality. I put that word in quotes because the way I see it there's nothing to figure out. Things would be so much easier if we just allowed ourselves to be and let things happen naturally. The answers become so clear when you just listen to yourself as opposed to constantly questioning yourself and trying to make yourself conform to a way of being that's not your own.

You don't need to mention any of that on your profile but if you'd like to just so that you can maybe avoid interacting with people that won't be ok with that then that's fine but like I said you'd be surprised at how many people are in your same situation. Not to mention there are tons of people who aren't part of the gay/straight binary and would probably be very accepting of someone like yourself who is right now somewhere in the middle.

7. SFSorrow

Thanks for the advice and kind words, they really are appreciated.

I've decided the thing I'm most comfortable with is to be honest with people, I haven't put all this on my profile but if I get talking to people and it seems to be going well then I'll mention it. It has occurred to me that if they're the sort of people who are going to have a problem with it then they're probably not my sort of person anyway.

I have actually been on a few dates with people I met online, so far nothing has come of it, and I have told them something along the lines of being bi or not sure (depending on where my head was at the time) and so far none of them have had a problem with it, but I started really worrying about it again recently, not sure why, hence the initial question. I've calmed down again about it now. It comes in waves, almost seems like a weekly cycle of feeling OK one week and then the next worrying again. I wish I could just let go and go with the flow.

I'm not too worried about people who are just looking to hook up, as so far they seem to be pretty blatant about it and I just either ignore them or say no thanks. It was more about whether I should be dating people before I'm sure what I want as I don't want to mess them around either.

8. Fluffster

I have found this thread to be helpful for me too. Thanks to the posters.

I have the same kind of conflicted feelings as you do and I figure I can cross that bridge if/when I get there about explaining how I feel to potential dates. I am also not interested in random hook-ups, and in one of my ads I am listed as bi (you have to chose lesbian or bi). So in that ad I specifically put that I am not interested in couples or random hook ups. That worked.

9. SFSorrow

Rightio, thanks for the advice.

10. insidehappy

insidehappy Guest

i have been in a similar situation and someone recommended the same thing to me (dont be with anyone until you figure yourself out and line up some sex to help you do that). personally for me, hooking up with random people to "see" if i like sex with men is really ill advised for my personality and situation. if you are romantically thinking about the same sex, i dont think you need to physically "try a few" to see if you will like it. but that's just me. you are right, many people do not want to date newbies because they dont want to fall for someone that will eventually push them away or get weird once things get "too gay". however, there are other people in your exact situation that would find it refreshing to date someone that's at their same speed.

my recommendation is to be upfront on your profile. let people know where you are at right now and what you do and dont want at this time and what you're ready for. that way, it filters people out that wouldn't be a match anyway. if you do not do this, people will assume you're much further along than you are and you're going to have to explain it anyway. just do it upfront and atleast you know you let people know and they can make the determination if they are interested.

11. SFSorrow

Sometimes I put a brief bit about it on my profile, then I re-edit it and take it off when I change my mind. Actually so far most of the people I've spoken to online properly, even when I've not had it on there, have been guys who are also comparatively new and inexperienced. Maybe the way I've written about myself makes me comes across as less intimidating to people like that? I don't know.

I'm meeting up with a guy on Saturday who says he's in a not too dissimilar place to me mentally so I'll see how that goes. At the very least he sounds like an interesting person.