1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gay males compared to females with children

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by littleoldme, Oct 24, 2011.

1. littleoldme

ok so i went away with a few friends over the long weekend and on the car ride there my friend brought up something her dad had said.
    so apparently there was a thing in a magazine about Elton John and his partner and there kid and apparently he started going on about how it was not right etc, etc... then turned the page and there was a picture of a lesbian couple with several children and my friend asked him what he thought of that and apparently he said it was fine and more natural etc, etc...
    so i was just wondering do you think there are a lot of people who think this way?
    what do you think about it?
    it was just an interesting thought i know im not a male so will never been an issue for me i just thought it was interesting and kinda odd the way he thought that.

2. Ianthe

It's dumb. It's related to the "gay man = pedophile" thing. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Unless the problem was with surrogacy, and not with them having kids in itself. Surrogacy is controversial (paying women to carry babies for someone else, sometimes using the woman's own eggs), and I think the opponents have valid concerns that are not necessarily just bias. But it doesn't sound like that was the issue.

3. littleoldme

no it was more to do with children been brought up in that environment i dont see anything wrong with it the child has 2 loving parents thats more than many people have

4. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure there are a lot of people who just simply have the mindset that unless a child is brought up with one mother and one father there are chances it will grow up confused or wrong. I don't believe that at all. If a child is raised by two women or two men or one parent or relative, I think they have just as much of a chance as being raised in a loving environment. Children don't necessarily need a male figure and female figure growing up, so long as they have parental figures. That's how I see it.

5. littleoldme

so do i but i was talking more about the fact that they thought a child growing up with to fathers wrong when they thought a child growing up with 2 mothers was more than fine

6. amadore

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that for children to grow up healthy and mentally stable, they need a support system, basic resources, and lots and lots of love. Whether those things come from a heterosexual couple, two women, or two men should not matter. Gender and sexual preference do not prevent parents from providing such necessities to their children.

That kind of thinking is dated. OK, so the standard narrative suggests that women are more nurturing towards their children than men are. If this is true, it's only because of instinct and the chemical oxytocin, which is released when a mother gives birth to a child. Only one parent in a monogamous couple can be the birth mother of a child though, so this empty mentality ultimately suggests that the author's belief is invalid. It also suggests that adoptive parents are worse than biological parents, which is a load of crap. So yeah, the author is basically prejudiced, and published false assumptions.

This kind of thinking is dated. It's the equivalent of having written an article about how caucasion people make better parents than negroes, only 40 odd years ago. It really is ridiculous to me, but on the other hand it represents the status of today's ethical standards and how far we've come/have left to go. But yeah, kids need tremendous love and security. Who provides it to them does not matter, so long as it's there, in my opinion at least.

#6 amadore, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  7. Hidinginalabama

I don’t under stand why people still think this way. Why does so many people think that you have to have a women and a man to grow up as a normal person? Can they not look at all the great gay family’s out there. I know there are a lot of lesbian or gay family’s that have kids and the kids turn out to be great people. I think some people just need to update their way of thinking.

8. Alex15

Surrounded by the Old Repulican Vangard (Texas)
    In my opinion two parents is better then one parent most everyday. Regardless of gender. If the child is loved and taken care of, well they are living a good life, and who is anyone else to judge.