1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Were you ever...?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by closetedafraid, Oct 24, 2011.

1. closetedafraid

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Were you ever homophobic?
    Okay, that sounds like a silly question, but... You know, before you realized or even acknowledged that you were gay. For example, have you ever made little comments such as "Omfg, she's a LESBIAN!?!?!? Wtf?" Or like "Omfg, they are gay that's gross!" Things like that...

Thankss

2. J Snow

Ummm... Well I grew up in an environment that was rather homophobic. Catholic schools, church twice a week, my mom didn't allow me to read harry potter because it was sacriligious, she blamed democrats for everything that was wrong in the world, etc. Overall, I wouldn't say I was homophobic. In religion class I was taught that being gay was okay, but acting upon homosexual temptations was wrong. In my heart of hearts I never believed that, I just assumed it was better to be safe then sorry so I suppressed my own same sex attractions.

My friends held mostly the same opinions I did. Despite taking the same classes they didn't see it as wrong, but still they used (and still do to this day) the "that's gay dude," or "wow, what a faggot..." slang. I joined in back then because I knew I wasn't using it to literally insult someone for being homosexual, so I thought it was okay. After coming out to myself I stopped using the terms.

So basically, I was never really homophobic, but I did join in with the rest of society by using the typical homophobic slang. I hope that makes sense.

3. Alex15

Surrounded by the Old Repulican Vangard (Texas)
    Not really but I do have a double standard on lesbians which I'm quickly getting over, my first, and culturally ingrained, reaction is "no that's not right" then my civilized reaction punches my first in the face and says " you idiot! People can do whatever, and who are you to judge!"

4. needshelp

yes, i was very homophobic and i used that as a defensive mechanism against my thoughts, desires and attractions i had for the same sex especially as a teenager. over time, i started to realize how stupid homophobia was, i started to change my attitude towards homosexuality. eventually, that led to me examining my past and present thoughts and feelings that i had within myself that made me realize that i might be gay. i'm still learning how to accept it so those feelings of homophobia haven't gone away yet.

5. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was never homophobic because I knew from a very young age that I was different. I always felt uncomfortable when homophobic remarks were made around me but no, I was never homophobic. I have had friends who were and some family members as well and that's disappointing but sadly you can't change people's views.

6. Aelphaba1234

I was never homophobic, but I have several friends who were homophobic and now are very supportive/gay themselves. I also know a guy who acts pretty homophobic to cover up that fact that he himself is gay.

7. seeksanctuary

I wouldn't say I was homophobic, but I was raised in a religious setting and my family wasn't very GLBT-friendly. I would say I didn't really "get it", and while I knew I was different... I just didn't know what to make of it. I didn't realize that everything I thought was pretty much stereotypical crap that people had been feeding me for years and years.

For example, I thought that because I felt like a man, I must be a lesbian.

... Yeah. It was stupid, but I didn't know better. Once I hit about 16, I realized what was going on and I left go of the denial, the anger, etc. I realized how stupid all that was and did away with that sort of thinking. :]

8. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going to say yes to the extent of "that's gay", the odd joke, but never any wish of harm against GLBT people, and acknowledging that my teacher making homophobic remarks against a student was very unprofessional and inappropriate.

9. amadore

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This may sound strange, but I never fully acknowledged homosexuality as a sexual orientation until I was a preteen. The thing is, I didn't acknowledge heterosexuality as a sexual orientation either. I just always thought that people got together and did "love stuff" with the people who they loved, and that was that. I remember being about four years old and seeing two men kiss for the first time. I remember thinking that they were different than other couples, but I wasn't really sure why. It wasn't until sex education in grade 6 that I realized people actually categorized other people based on who they did that "love stuff" with. So no, no homophobia.

10. Raeil

Yes, unfortunately. My religious upbringing caused quite a bit of homophobia and self-loathing due to the way homosexuality was viewed by my particular denomination of Christianity. I'm still getting over it, and it doesn't help that my particular denomination was also very sexually repressive (in general). The self-loathing is totally gone though, and progress is being made, so woo!

11. query

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i was homophobic to the point i told one of my friends if one of my friends told me they where gay, i would no longer be their friend, and i meant it. i still feel horrible and hypocritical about it ...

12. RaeofLite

I used to say "That's gay" not meaning any harm and once I realized I was causing harm, I stopped. I haven't had homophobia towards anyone growing up even though my family held homophobic views. I have had internal homophobia... however I am happy to report that ship has sailed and fallen off the edge of the Earth.

13. Gallatin

I used to say things like "that's so gay" and such. Not a lot, but I did. I tried not to say anything worse. There was no malicious intent behind anything I said. I always defended and was supportive of my gay friends and family. Ever since I started coming out, I've stopped saying phrases like the one I mentioned.

I had plenty of internalized homophobia, but I've gotten rid of most (if not all) of it, thankfully.

#13 Gallatin, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  14. Fiddledeedee

Maybe a week before I was out to my school, LGBT came up in conversation and I called trans people weird ("bad" weird, rather than "good" weird). I'm so, so sorry you guys! I internally beat myself up the moment I said it, but I didn't take it back. I think I stupidly thought that saying it would stop them thinking I could be LGBT; I have never been more of an idiot.

:bang:

15. cityofangels

cityofangels Guest

When I was younger I never had a problem with gay guys, but I didn't really know what to think of lesbians. I never said anything mean rude or hateful, but I didn't really want to be associated with lesbians :icon_sad: I think that was kinda my way of not acknowledging my true feelings. I wouldn't really say I was homophobic I was just a little uneasy.

16. MommaFrog

I grew up in a very homophobic environment, and in middle school, i was kind of homophobic myself. High school made me do a 180, to the point that I read a ton of yoai and yuri. I started defending gay and lesbian friends to other friends and even strangers, and often sported a "straight but supportive" stance. Unfortunately i used "That's gay" a lot, not realizing how hurtful it was... I now say "that's stupid" or "that's... just.... not right"

I think part of my 180 was starting to have feelings for a female friend, and the older I'm getting the more I'm realizing how attracted to other women I am.... So I think the early bit of being uncomfortable around homosexuality was more environmentally programmed than a true feeling.

17. Bi As A Kite

I used to say "that's gay", and when I was really quite young, like 7, my parents did the whole "but if you turn out gay, that's totally fine" shtick, seemingly at random. At the time I couldn't even understand why someone would want to be gay. Now I know and could really do with them saying that to me now.

#17 Bi As A Kite, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  18. Rinto

Rinto Guest

Hailing from a homophobic country, I used and still am homophobic-like. I am a bi, I know, but I still hate (sorry if I'm kind of offending) those very effeminate gays walking around. They creep me out, especially when they start their acts. I like lesbians and trannies better but when it comes to gays, well, I kind of choose. Bisexuals aren't really recognised here in my place and if ever they are, people will call them gay/lesbian.

19. Artemicion

Ignorantly homophobic, since I couldn't quite grasp the concept until it hit me in the face one day then it all changed...

20. Eleanor Rigby

I never ever was homophobic.
    I remember I once called my brother what is the equivalent of "fag" in French, I was like 8 I think and that was something I have heard at school but didn't know the meaning about.
    Fortunately, one of my friend was a bit older than me (and who came out as lesbian 10 years or so later) told me "Do you know what it means ? That word is a derogatory term for two men who are in love with each other." So I apologized right away and I was like "But ? Why is there insulting words for people who are in love ?". I never ever used that word afterward.