1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can an early relationship recover from a bad sex encounter?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Crystal Winds, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Crystal Winds

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm not sure if this guy's purposefully ignoring me or if it's just incidental, so I listed all of the things that indicate one way or another and I was hoping you guys could give me some insight on a). has he rejected me, b). is there any chance to salvage this mess, and c). what can I do about this whole sexual stage fright? i would be very grateful for advice.

So, I met a guy when I saw him acting in a play and I decided to contact him on Facebook, where we corresponded over the summer. Once the semester began, he invited me to play Risk with him and his friends in real life, and I jumped on the opportunity to finally meet him. I was instantly taken by his natural grace, kindness, intelligence, and wholesome interests. It was a good time.
    Next week, he invited me to hang with him at the LGBT resource center where he was volunteering. I joined him and we talked and had some fun until closing time. He told the lady he would lock up before he left, but he wanted to try a video game in the back room. We played for a bit and ended up wrestling and tickling each other. He pulled off my shirt, and although I knew where this was going and didn't feel ready, I pulled his off too. I realize how stupid this is in retrospect, but I felt obligated to have sex with him because I tickled him and I felt like I lead him on. Oral sex and the like ensued, but I wasn't able to get hard although I had been hard and even wet from when we had wrestled with our clothes on. This was my second sexual encounter, and I had a similar problem during the first. He ended up cumming quite gloriously, but I did not. He said to me when we were done and cuddling on the floor, "you started this", which I took as being a playful jest.When we finally did get out of there, he gave me a very affectionate hug and then while squeezing my hand, told me to text him when I got home. I did, and he texted me when he did.
    Since then, I've tried various attempts to hang out with him, in which he usually has agreed to at first but has had to back out of. After the first time this happened, I waited a week to give him some space and so he could invite me to do something since he ended up being too busy last time. He didn't text me. I have texted him a few times, and he would sometimes respond and sometimes not. Turns out several of my friends haven't received messages from me during certain times, one of which was around the time I texted him. I ran into him by the gym, told him I was sorry if he didn't get my response to his texts, to which he responded that he would never ignore any texts he's gotten from me. So, I messaged him on Facebook when I couldn't sleep one night and sent him a message saying I've been thinking of him a lot lately, but unfortunately communication has been challenging with my phone malfunctioning. He ignored my message for a week, and had posted on his wall that he's basically unavailable because of things going on in his life. He knows he probably will get some "FU's", but it can't be helped. The next week he sent me a brief reply. We ran into each other on campus again, where we had a pretty stilted conversation, probably in part because I was trying hard to say something but anything I said seemed to come out awkward. I tried calling him to invite him to a spur of the moment Risk game one of my friends was going to be doing that weekend, but he didn't answer, and texted me quickly after that that he was at a wedding.

So there you go. It's been about 2 months since we hooked up. What should I say or do? I feel like my uncertainty is sabotaging what interactions we have.

2. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, to start with the worst-case scenario: it is possible he just saw this as a fun quickie and isn't really planning on following this up, and is just acting distant in the hope you'll cool off and move on.

Then again, if this was entirely unplanned, it is quite possible that he just has a busy schedule, and that with your phone malfunctioning, he didn't get some of your messages.

Regardless, the best way to deal with this is not by hoping you'll suddenly run into each other, or that he'll be free at the exact moment you're free so you can do something spur-of-the-moment. That's always going to lead to stilted, short conversations, where neither of you knows exactly what to say or do.

Instead: plan something! Pick an activity, pick a date and time, and send him a FB message or an e-mail (not a text, as you can't be sure of those) to ask if he's interested in hanging out. If yes, whether the proposed time fits, and if it doesn't, to let you know some other time that does fit. It doesn't have to be more complicated than going for coffee together, but at least you know you're hanging out ahead of time, and you sent the message you are interested.

Something like
    "Hey there! Seems the gods of technology have been acting up and making it hard to get a hold of you by text! And running into each other doesn't seem to be working either. But how about this: I have some time in the afternoon, so how does grabbing a coffee at 4PM next tuesday sound? Let me know if you're up for that, and if so, whether you prefer another time or day!"
    (obviously you should personalise that message. It's just an example).

That would turn the situation from an anxiety-fest into something you can plan and control somewhat. And even if the answer is "no, I'm no longer interested", then it's still a better answer than what you have now!

Regarding the sex: I don't think you should focus on it overmuch. Like you said: you were not entirely sure about going along with it, and I can imagine that wondering "is this the right thing to do?" during sex is enough of a mood-killer to ruin any excitement.

So don't feel guilty or bad about what happened, and don't feel obliged to have sex with him as soon as any opportunity presents itself (and definitely not give him every sign that you want to proceed when you really don't! He's not a mind-reader, after all).
    Do make sure, however, that if you are in the opportunity to proceed, you make sure it is your own fee will and that you want to go forward. That should already make it much easier to have a good time!

3. Crystal Winds

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's some great advice! I messaged him this morningand asked him if he would like to grab lunch or coffee with me, along with the times I'm available. He responded just later that morning telling me that he would like to hang out and that I seem like a really cool guy, and he had fun playing Risk with me before, but he's seeing someone now, so if we do hang out it would just be as friends. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but actually I feel a lot better now just from knowing where I stand with him and also that he's not ignoring me. Thank you very much for the advice!

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My pleasure. and positive feedback makes my day too! :grin:

And I understand why it is disappointing, though it also makes sense, I guess. From his standpoint, he might have been wondering just the inverse: that you not getting in contact meant you had moved on.

No crying over spiled milk, though. And on the bright side: if you meet any nice guys in the future, you can repeat this tactic a bit sooner after meeting them :wink:

5. Crystal Winds

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah, and I did try hard to contact him and hang out with him at the beginning. I guess it was just unusual because he either didn't respond to my messages or had to cancel plans, so I felt that if I kept trying I was being pushy. It was hard to imagine someone would be so hard to get a hold of, and I thought since he had to cancel that he could contact me. Which didn't happen. lol In retrospect it could very well have been that he just was turned off on me after what happened or was starting to date someone else, but since he's very nice and polite never rejected me outright. But I had a huge crush on him and didn't want to accept that. But the latest message from him gave me closure in a sense.