1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Investigative Piece

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Revan, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm thinking of talking to my local tv station Rogers TV to see if there's a way to do an investigative piece on bullying, whether gay bullying or bullying in general. But I'm wondering where to definitely start, I'm thinking look into local newspapers plus surrounding areas to find issues of bullying. Plus looking into the two local school boards about their policies on bullying. Then maybe seeing if I can get permits to go in talk to both students and teachers, see how their opinions contrast. Also talk to safe schools groups if they have them, along with GSAs etc.

Comments? Questions? Statements of pith and merit?

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :frowning2:really, chip, ember, no one has any words?

Hmmm could a mod move this to support or advice, I think that's where I should have put it.

3. djt820

lololol

If I were to do anything, I would get more than just myself so you can achieve more in a shorter time-span. Join or make a club of some sort and get more numbers.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How does that solve anything? Makes no sense if you ask me. This is something I want to do with Rogers...this is a personal thing. Not something for school

5. TraceElement

Are you in college? You could do an independant study of sorts that focuses on social sciences and statistics, focusing on how incidental bullying of the LGBT population is and if the school has a GSA, gay friendly support groups or something simmilar. See if the rate of reported bullying is higher or lower if they have a GSA or the like. Combine your findings into a research paper of sorts as a culmination of your findings.
    Sorry if this makes absolutely no sence... if you have any questions or want me to explain something more let me know.

6. djt820

Did I say it had to be for school?

It makes sense because it boosts productivity and you would like to do as much as you can, riiiiiiiiiight? So get a group together that can be highly productive with what your set goals are.

Makes perfect sense.

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Before you go and talk to someone at your local TV station, I would suggest that you put as much as information on your idea together as you can. Do research. As you have already said, look into different issues surrounding bullying. But don't start and stop with the newspapers. Read up on different related issues. What has been written on it? What have victims of bullying experiences? Once you have a broader idea and picture, narrow it down. do some more research. Then look into the school boards policies. How do the policies address bullying? How is it defined? You should also include an 'action plan,' i.e. who do you want to interview and when? What is the goal of the interview? Why 'this' particular person, and not another person?

If you want anyone to take you seriously, you need to have something that comes with your idea.

Having said this, and as great the idea is, I would caution you on dreaming too big. Stay and be realistic about the chances of this actually becoming reality.

8. Hidinginalabama

I think Orcas has a good point. If you just jump in and run with no research you wouldnt really have anything to stand on. But I got to say your idea is a great thing.

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I'll definitely continue researching. My mother actually works for the school board (one of the two) and I feel maybe just maybe she'd be willing to help. She wants me to get out there and find a good career and journalism is one she thinks is a good possibility that I thought up, so the fact I want to do this...I dunno how to put it. I feel if this actually WORKS it could be like my calling card. Like if schools or stations are like "why should we hire you? What do you bring?" I can be like "well...this" and if I do a good enough job with it, who knows, the sky could really be the limit.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So it looks like I'm going to do a presentation on it in two weeks. But I really need help trying to flush it out. Like I know I want to do it on bullying, but where do I want to take this. I feel just doing how we can no longer just say It Gets Better is not enough because there will be people on the side of "it's easier said than done" who may attend. So really I need your help guys, you said it yourself, I need the help of others to get this done, not just alone. Any thoughts?