1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gay or asexual?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pronua, Oct 28, 2011.

1. pronua

When people use the term "sexually attracted to" does that mean just their genital area? Because I like men and their body, I'm just not interested in sex. Does asexual mean you don't like anyone or just not like sex? :confused:

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'm going to hazard a guess that you've never had sex before. When I was in your shoes (post-self-discovery, pre-sex), I was pretty close to asexual; it took very fetishistic fantasies to turn me on, and though I'd look at attractive guys, I wasn't interested in sex, either. My first sexual experience, though, made me realize why people made such a big deal out of it. I like to say that my first experience "activated" my sexuality, but it's more accurate to say that it gave me new insight into what I enjoyed by letting me explore my sexuality in a new context. It's sometimes hard to guess what you'd really enjoy without having tried it (though not always), so guessing can be an inaccurate science.

I would say that if you enjoy their bodies, there's a pretty good chance you'd enjoy having sex with them. You don't need to be turned on by penis to be gay; I wasn't turned on by penis until very recently. We develop our attractions at different rates, and sometimes certain body parts come before others. If you enjoy men's bodies, you might grow to enjoy the penis, as well. Even if you don't, that doesn't mean you aren't gay, just that you express your sexuality in a different way from how some people do it.

3. anatta

Some asexuals get 'squishes' on people, distinguished from crushes by the lack of stirring in one's loins. I like men's bodies too, but it's an aesthetic thing and an emotional thing due to associations with certain traits; my own body below the waste has nothing to say about it.