1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting things (including GSA) in a college resume?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ANightDude, Oct 30, 2011.

1. ANightDude

I'm working on my college resume, and I've got a bit of an issue here. I'm putting things on there right now, and then the GSA came up. I'm really not sure exactly what to put on there. Should I include it or not? I was Vice President of the group.

Now I know that sounds stupid, but I'm scared of getting rejected based on that sole fact. If I get that one college admissions board member is homophobic, and they read that, they might pass it up.

I've got in activities:
    -Choir (Chorale Varsity Choir & Tenor Bass Choir)
    -Theater Production (Which was a class, but a HUGE amount of it was out of class, does this count? We'd meet on weekends, after school, before school, etc. two or three times a week)
    - Yearbook
    - Talent Show Committee (I was an organizer/host)
    - School Play (That I'm in right now)
    - Some clubs I haven't listed.

Honors:
    - Homecoming Court
    - National Honors Society
    - English Scholar Award (For being good in English xD)
    - Our School Awards (Like "Academic Achievement" or "Outstanding Achievement" in a certain class

And I've got service (Volunteered for six year at an art community center and one time volunteered for a homeless shelter).

So here's my questions.
    - Without GSA, does this alright? Or should I have more (there's probably more, this is the main stuff I've got right now)?

- Should I include GSA or not? I know they like leadership positions, but it makes me nervous...

2. TraceElement

If they don't accept you for you... do you REALLY want to go there?

3. NoName114

NoName114 Guest

put it on, don't hide and be yourself, lucky you having a school with GSA. I love to have one at my school

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! If you don't feel comfortable with writing down GSA, maybe describe it. For example:

Vice President for a high school outreach group (trying to bring equality issues to the attention of the wider high school community).

5. Meropspusillus

I'd say that even without the GSA position you have a pretty strong resume, so I wouldn't worry that your resume is lacking without it. I can't really comment too much, but especially with several years of service, you have a strong application.

That being said, I can't imagine your GSA leadership position hurting you, and it certainly might help. It's ultimately up to you: Yes, you might run into that admissions person who sees "GSA" on your application and tosses it out, but I think you're (much) more likely to be seen as taking on a leadership role in a club that isn't the easiest club to lead.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What sort of schools are you applying to? Nearly every school worth going to is very accepting of LGBT students, and some actively recruit LGBT students.

Being VP of the organization shows that you are comfortable in leadership roles, that you take initiative, and that you are passionate about what the group stands for. GSA participation also implies, among other things, that you have dealt with a certain level of adversity and overcome it.

I would say that's a lot more important to a college admissions person than Homecoming Court honors (which tend to be more of a popularity contest than anything else, at least at most schools.) I would probably also collapse being in the play and the theater work under one heading and just describe your theater activities.

If you're going for highly competitive schools, the thing you have to remember is to focus on the issues that set you apart from others. Everyone else applying to a competitive college will have good academic achievement; your transcript and class rank show that, so you may not even need to mention it. And things like theater, yearbook, etc. are probably on half of the college applications sent to competitive schools. So you want to include them, but it's the things like volunteering at the homeless shelter show a compassion and empathy for others that not as many people have... and that sets you apart a little bit.

If you have any other particularly unusual or unique experiences, activities, etc., those are what help the admissions committee differentiate your application from the 10,000 other ones they receive.

Hope that helps!

7. IanGallagher

I actually have the same confusions, but more work based. Schools operate differently. I'd say if a school rejects you for that rather than sees you as a responsible hard working and brave guy for standing behind who he is at a young age then there's something wrong wrong with that school, not with you. The schools worth your time will stand behind you.

#7 IanGallagher, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  8. Daisy1

I would definitely include it, if you feel comfortable. At the vast majority of US schools, an admissions counselor who rejected someone based on sexual orientation would be fired.

In addition, I think coming out in high school shows a great deal of bravery, which would also be looked upon favorably.

9. Fluffster

It depends on the schools, really. But being VP of the GSA says a lot about your ethics and standing up for what you believe in, etc. If you are applying to liberal schools in the northeast or highly ranked schools, then those are the kind of schools that value diversity and would see being on the GSA as a bonus to your resume. It also depends on what program you are applying to get into or what you write in your essay. For example, if you want to apply to Yale for social work because you want to work with homeless LGBT teens when you grow up, then yeah you should put it in there.

10. FJ Cruiser

Definitely do it. We've talked before about one of the schools you're applying to, and it's progressive as far as these things go. You have nothing to worry about. Also, I believe there are anti-discrimination laws in place with regards to non-private schools. Your position in the club far outweighs any reservations an admissions officer might have.

11. Drowzee64

Do it. Colleges love minorities.

12. J Snow

Include it. I think about every school would view you positively for being out and strong. If it was for a job I could see that going either way though.

13. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Most academics are on the left side of the political spectrum. The vast majority of schools embrace LGBT students.

14. Jonamo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In all seriousness this is true. Colleges are known to select different groups as a means of a 'tie-breaker' between candidates in order to accept funding. It's not the most sensitive or nicest answer but sadly it's true.

15. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A few things:

1) The bigger the school, the more likely they'll be as welcoming as you can hope for.

2) This could only conceivably hurt you if you're applying to a religious-affiliated school that makes a point of discouraging gay and lesbian student presences. If it's a religious or otherwise conservatively-oriented school, check out the school's (or schools') website(s) to see if they have any GSA-type clubs, safezone programs, and such things.

3) If it's not a school that gives you some obvious reason to assume they'd be hostile to gay and lesbian students, then yes - absolutely put it on. It won't hurt you and it will be good for you to get used to putting it out there. :slight_smile:

16. GuardianKitten

This, basically.

17. insidehappy

insidehappy Guest

i think this is good advice above. colleges are a bit different than resume's for work. for instances, colleges usually pride themselves on being inclusive and diverse. they actually perk up for people that come from different background and are leaders. therefore, putting GSA on your resume may actually help you out and get you into the school. keep in mind not everyone would know what the acronym stands for. sadly, in life people do discrimate based on race, religion, and disability and sexual orientation. it is advisable not to put things on your resume (for work) that would classify you into any group that could be discriminated against. however for college, i really think that it would probably benefit you rather than harm you. also, if you were president of your high schoool's GSA it's not like you're in hiding or want to be in the closet anyway, so them knowing you're gay is not that big of a deal because if you got into the school, i'm sure you'd be active in their GSA group there too.

trust your gut and do what's best for you.