1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting from Online

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Justindee13, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Justindee13

so i have met a lot of guys lately online. I wondering how safe it is to meet up with them. Like I know not to rust everyone and stuff, and i know that u meet in a public place. But im still worried about it. Anyone who HAS GONE THROUGH THIS have any advice please and thank you.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I met one guy in person who I met online. This was so long ago that, at the time, I had to explain to people what it meant to "meet someone online". (Seriously.) Plus, this was before fast modem speeds, so the idea of "sending a photo" online hadn't really started. (Forget about Skype!) And to make matters worse, we lived 2000 miles apart. But I sent him a videotape of me on a television show, and he sent me a photo. And we finally decided to take the plunge. He bought a plane ticket to Denver, and we finally met in person.

How'd it go? Not bad. We're still together, fourteen years later. :slight_smile:

My only caveat is this. I went ahead with this only after knowing this person online for quite some time - like nine months. We talked on the phone quite a bit, and we felt pretty comfortable with each other. And (you probably knew this was coming) I was 27 when I did this (and he was 30). So we both felt comfortable (if nervous) about taking the plunge. I'd be reluctant to say "sure, go for it!" to a 17-year-old unless I knew more about the other person, the relationship, and what you were hoping would happen.

Lex

3. Chrisyan

Chrisyan Guest

I've met with 2 guys that i talked to online, but i'm pretty careless so i wasn't really worried about it. I did make sure however, to talk to them on the phone before hand, and i did a lot of snooping online. If they had a profile on a social network i would check their conversations with other people, just to see how legit the person was. What i looked for, were conversations with his family (cousins, siblings, etc.) and friends, because what this told me was that the guy couldnt possibly have any serious ill intentions, since i doubt he would risk his friends/family to know about it. Also lots of pictures of him with his friends and family are a positive sign. If you met him online he probably has accesibility to video chat, so you can try that too, and sort of get a visual feel of the guy.

4. LookingGlass

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    These days, meeting someone online is a lot easier than what Lexington experienced (great story by the way, that is pretty awesome!). If you can take example from Lexington, I'd say talk for a little while before meeting in person.

Something I like to do is to request that person's Facebook (or whatever other Social Network he/she might be using). Doing this can at least let you know whether this person is real and not someone other than he/she claims to be. If that person is reluctant to surrender such information (most are as it is a private space), you could talk on the phone like Lexington had done. Talking on the phone is much better than texting. You can't get a feel for that person's intentions via text. Chrisyan mentioned snooping around for that person's Social Network to check if the person is legit. Though I find this to be an invasion of privacy (BUT I am guilty of it myself - so I can't judge :icon_bigg), you should do this too. At the end of the day, it's for your own safety and peace of mind.

When you meet (and you've already mentioned this), meet in a public place. A mall is a good place to meet. There are plenty of people around and its easier to slip away if you feel uncomfortable.

Oh and if you don't want to send a picture of yourself, you could always use Skype!