1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I messed up...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by coftheb, Nov 1, 2011.

1. coftheb

coftheb Guest

Hey all! It’s been a while since I’ve been on here but I’ve become more secure with my identity as being bi. I’ve started telling friends and all that. As it turns out, this guy that I worked with at a part time job in college found out one way or another. Back then, I knew he was gay but more importantly he was a cool guy and friends with everyone.

Well we haven’t really talked since college, but since he heard I came out we’ve been texting a bit. Admittedly, some may have been drunk texts just saying hi on either end and chatting a bit. As it turns out, I was drunk at a party the other night… and when I get drunk I get to be rather friendly with people. For one reason or another, I texted the guy from college. We chatted a bit and long story short he said he was interested in me and asked me out on a date. And in my drunken state I said yes.

And there is my problem… in the light of day and sober, I like this guy… as a friend. I’m not interested in him the same way he is interested in me. And I don’t know what to do. He’s a great guy and what harm could one date do? But he has also been sending me these cuties little texts. And I don’t know how to respond.

Do I still go on the date? I mean I did say yes. But he seems to be getting more affectionate and I don’t have the same feelings.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd keep the date, but when you get texts that are nudging you into love-y or sexy territory, push back in the other direction. If he says (to pick an example) "Can't wait to see you, cute-y!", you can say "It'll be fun seeing you, too, but I'm not sure about the cute-y stuff just yet. :slight_smile:" This sort of response makes it clear "Yes, I like you, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here."

Lex