1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Empty

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MommaFrog, Nov 2, 2011.

1. MommaFrog

So I’m feeling kind of empty.

I just don’t know why I’m feeling this way. I have accepted who I am, and I have come out to everyone but my homophobic family… Every single one of my friends have been supportive! Some even saying they had thought that for years.

So, I just don’t understand why I feel this way…

Several things are weighing on my mind, like how my sexuality will affect my daughter in the long run. Will she be picked on in school? Will she hate me for it? Should I pretend to be straight to make her life easier?

Another problem is I don’t have any LGBT friends IRL. So as supportive as my friends are, none of them really understand.

I have repeatedly been told I need to lose weight and act more like a woman… I should wear more make-up. I should take more effort with my hair… I need a good boyfriend… I need to get married to a nice rich man…

**sigh** I just feel kind of empty and alone… and I don’t know what to do anymore… :bang:

2. Vesper

Wow, we have quite a few things in common.

I know what it's like not to have any LGBT friends...I didn't have any until I was 25, and to this day I still only have one I know reasonably well enough to call a friend.

My parents and occasionally some family friends would and still on occasion do tell me that if I lost some weight (say, 30 lbs.), the boys would be all over me. My mom used to admonish me quite a bit for not wanting to pursue a more "woman-like" appearance--makeup, high heels, dresses, and skirts. I've been told by my parents, family, and friends who are much older that I look much better with long hair.

So, yeah, I understand how you feel in many ways. When we're told repeatedly that we positively need to do this or do that, we're made to feel like we're just not good enough, or that we exist to make others happy. Your signature says everything-: we don't need to be or do anything just to satisfy anyone else, and anyone who tries to change us to fit the mold of what they think is acceptable should leave us alone until they realize that it's not us who have to change, but society.

#2 Vesper, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  3. MommaFrog

I seem to be able to block out everyone but my mother... She gets under my skin, and I just don't understand why....

4. addie88

of course she gets under your skin. she's your mom.

not letting other peoples' opinions bother us is easier said than done. especially when it's someone like a parent, or a sibling, someone who is completely invested in your business because he or she is so close to you. we always want the approval of those people in our lives...and it takes a lot of effort and time to get over that.

5. MommaFrog

I think the biggest issue is I live with them because of my divorce and being a full time student. I have no ability to live anywhere else, so I kind of have to hear it ever day and can say nothing in fear of being thrown out... and If i get thrown out I lose my daughter

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it is quite natural to feel like this, accepting your sexuality and coming out is often quite a long process especially is your family are not so accepting. Throughout my coming out I found it had a lot of highs and lows rather than a steady mood. When you manage to come out to someone or achieve something you wanted to do you get a great high, but when the euphoria dies sometimes it brings you crashing to reality that you still have a long way to go. You always have to think of it as a journey rather than just a single goal. It is tough at times but thats why EC is here. When I used to feel low I used to try and look bad at all of the things I had managed to do and how far I had come rather than thinking about how far I still had to go, or the things I hadnt sorted yet. You have come a long way and you should be really really proud of yourself.

As for Mothers wanting girly daughters, I think its just a Mum thing, my Mum fully accepts my sexuality and my girlfriend but still likes to comment now and then on the fact I dont wear skirts or makeup or carry a handbag.

7. MommaFrog

So, on top of everything, I just found out I didn't get into the nursing program at the school I had applied too, so I have no idea what to do now... my mom is basically been really nice about it, but still....

8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thats tough (*hug*) especially on top of everything else you have going on. Im sure in time it will work itself out, try and keep your chin up. Im sure your Mum feels sad that you didnt get the place you wanted.