1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Girlfriend, I need advice!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by femmegirl411, Nov 2, 2011.

1. femmegirl411

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am out to my mother, but she believes it is just a phase. Well recently I met a girl, though we don't have a title we are dating. I have started spending TONS of time with her, and my mom has noticed. I tell my mom im going to her house, and I think my mom is catching on and she is ALWAYS giving me dirty looks when I tell her I'm going over there. She hasn't accepted me, and I was wondering if anyone had ANY sort of advice of how to handle something like this, with my mom. Thanks all!

2. Eleanor Rigby

First thing, I am sorry that your mum isn't very accepting of your sexuality (*hug*). I can only imagine how difficult this situation must be for you.
    However, I think you should hold on and allow your mother enough time to get used to the situation. If she was thinking that being gay was for you a phase, now that she has understood that you're having a girlfriend, she may have moved to the stage of anger and in a way, that's positive because that means that it's challenging her.
    Hopefully, she'll move forward and will be able to fully accept you and love you for who you are, but that is a process that can take quite some time.
    I think the best thing for you to do is to stay open about the situation. Let her know that you have noticed she seems to be upset, that you understand that the fact you're gay is challenging for her and that you are willing to answer any questions she may have. Also, make it clear that, though you understand that she may have a hard time accepting your sexuality, you are not going to deny who you truly are.
    Here is a link to a PFLAG booklet for parents of LGBT people. You may want to print it for your mom and give it to her (that could give you an opportunity to start a dialogue with her) : http://community.pflag.org/document.doc?id=495
    You may also suggest her to find a PFLAG chapter in your area. Being able to talk with other parents with LGBT children can also help her becoming more acceptant of you.
    Here is a link to the PFLAG website : PFLAG: Parents, Families, & Friends of Lesbians and Gays

I hope it can help a little.
    Take care (*hug*) Cécile