1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't think this is fair

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pikachu1, Nov 3, 2011.

1. pikachu1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I found out today that I got fired from my job over something horribly stupid. I was working yesterday and I finished with my job about 2 hours early.My supervisor told me that since I finished early that I could go home since there was nothing else to do at all since no one needed any help with their stuff. I was like 'cool' and went home.

Today when I went in my supervisor said that his boss was mad about me going home early saying I was counted as abandoning my work area and that I was fired. My supervisor said he didn't have any problem with me having left early yesterday since he told me to but his boss did so he had to respect his decision. I don't think this is fair. I just did what my supervisor said to do and I don't feel I was at fault. What do you all think?

Also if this is not the right area for this can it be moved?

2. Jim1454

Ya - that's wrong. Your supervisor needs to grow a pair of balls and take ownership of this situation. They sent you home. If their boss isn't happy about that, then THEY are the ones that need to go. Not you.

Unfortunately, most people don't have much integrity, and your supervisor isn't likely to change their position on this. It really does suck.

3. Tiny Catastrophe

I think you should talk to your supervisor's boss and explain the situation to him. You were simply following orders from your superior and if that's grounds for firing than that is just ridiculous.

4. Alex15

Surrounded by the Old Repulican Vangard (Texas)
    I agree, you should talk to your boss's boss. It might not get your job back but at least it will be on his record. Or on their minds next time something like this happens. You might save someone else's job

5. pikachu1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just got done talking with my supervisor's boss and he said that he will reconsider his firing of me but I have to fill out paperwork within the next day to make it official since he already filed the termination papers and it can only be undone within 48 hours.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hopefully your supervisor backed you up that he gave you permission to leave.

I would fill out the paperwork, and, if possible, ask for something in writing that you were not at fault and were following instructions from your supervisor and that it was a miscommunication that resulted in the termination. That way, it isn't a black mark on your record with that employer in the future.

7. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Talk to the boss directly.

8. climbingivy

All of that. Also, if it is a balls-less situation, I bet it's not the first time your supervisor has done this. He or she is surely being watched.

9. pikachu1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I talked to my supervisor last night and he said that he hopes there aren't any hard feelings between us. He said that he was "forced" into it by "the big boss". He didn't say why he was "made" to do this just that he was.

10. Jim1454

Forced? Your supervisor sounds pretty spineless to me. Even if you HAD left early on your own, your supervisor is STILL accountable - because he obviously wasn't doing a very good job supervising you. When people on my team make mistakes - which we all do - it's important that I take some of the responsability. If something was missed or overlooked, I am at least partly to blame for not asking the right questions and ensuring that whatever it was had been reviewed.

You're going to have to be pretty careful going forward, because your immediate supervisor DOES NOT have your back.