1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to football friends??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jess142, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Jess142

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am openly Gay to all my friends at school, however i play football (soccer) at a pretty high level and so i've made heaps of freinds through that. But none of them know i'm gay and when we talk about some of my other football friends that are openly gay they get all judgemental... some of them are really good friends of mine but i'm afraid of telling them, any advice?

2. Jim1454

This is a tough one. At a minimum I think you'd want to step in and challenge those comments made about other people. That of course might make some of them wonder if you're also gay, which you are. You might need to be prepared to come out to them if someone asks. But would that be horrible? Maybe they just need to know someone who is gay - and that person can be you. Often that's all that is necessary to change someone's views.

3. Jess142

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    wow thats really helpful, thank you very much :slight_smile: it makes me alot more confident about telling my friends or at least discussing my other gay friends with them :slight_smile:

4. Ianthe

If they really are good friends of yours, this will not be enough to destroy that.

And I would go as far as to say that it is usually the case that it just takes having one good friend turn out to be gay to change someone's mind. Especially for young people.

In my experience, when teenagers are talking like your friends are, half the time or more they don't really believe what they're saying anyway. Like, they will just say whatever seems mean, and if the people they're talking about weren't gay, they would just find something else about them to put down. Or they are just going along with what they think "everyone" thinks. It doesn't necessarily indicate any real opinion of theirs about gay people.