Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > Support Area > Coming Out Advice

Coming Out Advice A supportive place to ask for and give advice about coming out. Includes a sub-forum for posting stories about your coming out experiences.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17th May 2006, 03:07 PM   #1

Default Had a talk

Last night I did talk to my Uncle Richard and Aunt Laura.My Aunt Laura was at my Uncle Richard's house.I told them that they are an inspiration to me.My Uncle Richard is openly gay and has a boyfriend Thomas of 15 years and my Aunt Laura is a lesbian also,she has a girlfriend,Jill of 20 years.I know I am not alone in my family and I did talk to them first before coming out to my parents that I am a lesbian.I did not know what to do first,I asked them and they told me to tell the truth when coming out.I do look up to them since I came out when I was 16 years old and I am not alone in my family that is gay or lesbian.
NicoleAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2006, 03:34 PM   #2

Orientation: Lesbian...I think

Default Re: Had a talk

That's great that you both gay and lesbian family members. I'm sure it makes it easier to have some support.
Old 18th May 2006, 06:40 AM   #3
Threadstarter

It is and I can talk to them.I remeber one time I was going through harrassment at work,one co worker where I used to work was homophobic and was calling me nasty names.I did talk to my Uncle Richard and Aunt Laura about this and gave me advice,tell the guy I worked for that do something about it or I quit.But they were impressed that I stood up for myself,I slugged the guy who was doing this to me and I called it self defense.I end up quiting at the end,I did take the guy to court,I did get $45,000.00,it was settled out of court and my Uncle Richard,Aunt Laura were there for support.My Uncle Richard and Aunt Laura know about me,no one messes with me.They do like my girlfriend Alexis,my girlfriend treats them with respect.
Old 18th May 2006, 03:57 PM   #4

Orientation: Lesbian...I think

Wow, sounds like a big ordeal. Good for you to stand up to that guy though. Glad you got a large settlement for the court case in the end. Running into homophobic people is upseting, too bad they can't just be accepting.
Old 20th May 2006, 06:19 AM   #5
Threadstarter

I was sent home for the day for standing up for myself.My Uncle Richard,Aunt Laura and my parents were outraged after hearing this,the guy I did work for did not think it was self defense and Told me I needed to cool down for the day.But I do work somewhere else.The people I work for now are a husband and a wife "team".I work at an auto body shop they own parting out cars the husband buys for parts only.They told me if this ever happens,report and they take care of it right away.My Uncle Richard and Aunt Laura heard this and they did meet them.
Old 22nd May 2006, 05:41 AM   #6
Gamer Bear!

Orientation: Gay
Out Status: Out to everyone

Nicole that is so great that you have openly gay family members. Plus its also good that you stood up for yourself. That guy deserved to be slugged in the face for calling you all those bad names.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 06:07 PM   #7
Threadstarter

It is great and my parents know I have my Uncle Richard and Aunt Laura to look up to since they are like me.My Uncle Richard and Aunt Laura are happy that my parents accept and are supportive that I am a lesbian after the outcome of me coming out.