1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working on fine-tuning my communication style

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SecretColor, Nov 4, 2011.

1. SecretColor

From St. Louis, MO; go to school in Philly
    Well, as many of you know, I met with the Area Coordinator of my dorm today. It went pretty much as I expected. The guy I went on that walk with just needs some time, and I'm happy to give him time. However, the AC also said that I need to consider whether my communication style is too 'aggressive'/direct. I mean, I agree that I was WAY more forward with Alex than any other guy I was interested in, but that was really only because he was as well and I wanted him to feel comfortable.

The only reason I'm hesitant is before, when I tried to be subtle instead of overt, and be a little more passive conversationally, I got screwed. Nothing 'bad' happened, but I found out too late that the guy wasn't interested me because I wasn't open enough.

So, thoughts? This really isn't something that I can fix myself, because the way I communicate might make sense to me, but it might not to others i.e. Alex

Also, I'm having coffee with a guy I met through the GSA on Tuesday, who is actually a mutual friend of mine and Alex's. It's not a date (just friends having coffee) so it shows that yes, I can have gay friends I'm not interested in :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. I found some hilarious LGBT holiday music that I want to share with him.

2. SecretColor

From St. Louis, MO; go to school in Philly
    Shameless bump because insight would be hugely appreciated. Scouring the internets for help on how to make myself 'less direct' has been less than successful.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have the same problem as you, I am a very direct person. I'm not really sure that there is a way to fix it though, because I know that it's just the way that I am. Sorry I can't help much more that that.