1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how should i come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by chrism29, Nov 4, 2011.

1. chrism29

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    okay.so im gay and ive only been telling people for about a month now (only familly no friends yet) i feel as if i am ready to tell my friends but at the but at the same time im not sure. should i tell them all at once or tell just one or two to start with? any suggestions on how i should word it? or should i wait untill im more confortable with the idea of telling people other than my familly?

thanks

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's hard to say - the pacing is different for everyone. At the end of the day, it's about you and what you're comfortable with, so I'd say listen to your gut.

Personally, I told individual people along the way, as I felt it was just easier to feel my way slowly, start with the people that I assumed would take it well, and work out from there. Maybe you'd be more comfortable telling a lot of people at once and getting it over with.

It sounds, in any case, like you've already got a base in your family, which is good. How did it go with all of them?

3. Gallatin

First off, don't rush yourself. Don't come out to your friends just for the sake of it. Come out because you're ready and are comfortable.

As far as coming out to one or two at a time or doing it all at once, it's really whatever you feel most comfortable with. It's a matter of personal preference. I chose to come out to each person individually, but you may do it however you like. Same goes with how to word it. Some people like to just slip it into conversation, others like to talk about it at length. It depends on you and who you are telling. I would say that if however you came out to your family worked, you might want to stick with a similar approach, with a few tweaks if necessary.

4. chrism29

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thank you for the advice when i told my familly it went very well. i told my mom first she just said that she was very suprised but after she had a day to think about it she was cool with everything and helped my tell the rest of the familly. witch was awsome.