1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lgbt group

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by firemaker13, Nov 5, 2011.

1. firemaker13

Has anyone attended an lgbt group. I would like some insight of what to inspect. So can someone just help me to get for my first lgbt group. Thanx.:thumbsup:

2. don29002

I've never been to one either, so I want advice too :slight_smile:

3. Wolfgirl90

Hey there,
    I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to, but I can tell you about my experiences at the LGBTQ group at my university. Generally, we do a mixture of political stuff and "fun" stuff;
    During a meeting, we first discuss things that we want to do around our university to better establish equality, awareness, and things we can do as a group. After the meeting, we usually head downstairs in the student center, and hang out with snacks and chat. We get together for random events too.

When I went to my first meeting, we had an icebreaker to open the group session. Everyone there was very friendly and welcoming, and it was a very positive environment to be in. You may have to pay a small "dues" fee if you want to be a member.

(mine was 5$ to join the group for the year, but they don't enforce people paying up because it's something people NEED socially emotionally, etc...and they don't want to exclude anyone for something like that. )

You may not make friends the first time you go; expect to make brief acquaintances and get familiar with a couple of faces. Try to say hello to a couple people, and if you can- introduce yourself. (If you do make a friend though, that's great! :slight_smile: ) Then, go back again for each meeting. I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable with my group at the University. :slight_smile: Goodluck.