1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Akira, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Akira

ok. Long story short. Told all my fam that are close to me. Might be moving in with my mom, and going to a new Highschool. Do I have any rights? Or am I still a chick to the rest of the world? :/

2. Ianthe

I think this may depend on where you live, at least by state. Transgender rights are not very well protected nationally.

Have you asked at the school in question?

Do you pass as a boy, or can people tell? There is only so much anyone can do about what other people think, or how other students will treat you.

The least disruptive thing from the perspective of the school, I would think, is for you to just be a boy in the first place, if that's going to work. Which is also what you would prefer. There may be some bathroom/locker room issues to work out.

3. Akira

That's what I was thinking/ worring about. I'm unsure what the school is yet, but I'll try talking to her and seeing what she can do. I only know it's in illinois, and I've been googling like crazy. Any info would be great. I think I pass for the most part. Very much so with a better binder and a hair cut haha ^^

4. Daisy1

I suspect that if you're near Chicago it would be much better than elsewhere in the state as that area is more liberal. College towns tend to be more progressive as well. I know the state a little bit so feel free to PM me.

Perhaps you could ask to be put in touch with the school LGBT group, if applicable, as well?

5. Ianthe

6. Akira

@Daisy1 - Will do if/ when I find more info :wink:

@ Ianthe - awesome link thanks so much! ^^

7. Akira

Update: My mum already has me registered at my new school. None of the things I wanted included. I told her I'm willing to take it slow, and she says she doesn't care what I am, but I think she's in denile. She told me once I live with her she thinks I'll "feel differently" -.-" So Idk what to do.

My Girlfriends, dads, old high school friend is an FtM- his mom disowned him and he did obsurd things like walk around w/ signs around his neck, and use the mens locker room.

I don't really wanna be an ass about it, but I want my way. Gahh!!! Anyone?